How popular is The Plough Inn, Sandygate Road S10

goldenfleece

The Plough is in a lovely location. I'd guess the view from the upstairs rooms over the cricket/football ground and beyond toward Ringinglow is lovely. I know from when I've been in Hallam FC's ground that it feels like a little piece of heaven (this on a summer's evening of course).

The football club and pub should work together and provide something unique.

Hallam FC are a very private organization and want nothing to do with the pub, this has been investigated. They have their own bar and catering facilities too. Successive Managers here have tried to work out deals with the club and failed as hallam FC are notorious for being fiercely independent.

This pub does fairly well on match days with fans, a weekly event, or at least it did before it closed down. The previous Manager removed SKY TV though, presumably as it the cost is sky high (no pun intended) for screen Sky Sports channels.

Agreed, superb location, and very interesting demographics. All the people I have spoken too who WERE regulars have all said one thing in common.....a succession of inexperienced or 'pathetic' Publicans/Tenants with no understanding of the area have destroyed all trade systematically over the last few years. I understand one of the recent licensees (having come from a pub in a far less salubrious district) ended up barring most of his former regular trade as he thought many of them were 'upper class twits.'... Not the BEST way to run a pub business, barring should always be a last resort, especially if such persons form the bread and butter of the business, and even more especially if they have considerable spending power.

This pub does fairly well on match days with fans, a weekly event, or at least it did before it closed down. The previous Manager removed SKY TV though, presumably as it the cost is sky high (no pun intended) for screen Sky Sports channels.

As you are probably aware goldenfleece but i will point out for others, the minimum payment for Sky is £400 per month. It is based on your businesses 'Rateable Value'.

To clear the £400 in profit you would want to pay for its self, you would need to increase sales by approx 2k, so you would want sky matches to contribute at least £500 a week to your takings.

As you are probably aware goldenfleece but i will point out for others, the minimum payment for Sky is £400 per month. It is based on your businesses 'Rateable Value'.

To clear the £400 in profit you would want to pay for its self, you would need to increase sales by approx 2k, so you would want sky matches to contribute at least £500 a week to your takings.

Never going to happen there, there are pubs with Sky sports only 5 minutes away, waste of money and not the way forward these days. I know a few pubs losing money who have expensive Sky Sports contracts they are stuck with for a minimum period....

very sad news if it has finally closed, I knew the Plough from old and was never that impressed but having been back again 6 months ago I was knocked out by the food quality and friendly staff. Went in several times and had fantastic, orginal food every time! Where else in a pub environment can you get home cooked chips, crocodile steak and home made apple crumble parfait?! Goldenfleece if you are interested track down Mark, his partner and their chef Simon and spend a few quid bringing the property into the 21st Century.

Went in several times and had fantastic, orginal food every time! Where else in a pub environment can you get crocodile steak and home made apple crumble parfait?! .

Is that what people want nowadays in 'Pub' food in general ?

Cricket at Totley seems to have it right. They are packed, not far from Thyme either maybe Richard Smith should consider it.

The Plough has a MASSIVE footie and cricketing heritage, with a number of landlords and customers being cricketers and cricket supporters over the years. I had an email conversation with a woman recently whose great-grandfather was an ex-Yorkshire player and ran the place towards the end of the C19th.

My own connection is through my great grand-uncle Edwin Stephenson, known as Merry Ned for reasons that will become clear. He was the first Yorkshire wicket-keeper, played in the first official Yorks/Lancs match, and in 1864 he travelled by sailing ship on the first overseas trip to play for England in Melbourne, Australia. A Sharrow lad (he ran a cricket ball and tobacconists shop in Bramall Lane), in 1872 he was given the honour of a testimonial at the Roses match at the Bramall Lane ground.

Cricketers at the time were well known for their drinking and cricket anthologies of the time refer to him propping up the bar and singing loud songs in his home from home - the old Plough. Eventually he was consigned to an asylum in Liverpool for inebriates where he died in 1896.

If you're thinking of taking over the pub Goldenfleece I hereby graciously allow you to split up the long bar and re-name one section Merry Neds Bar !

The Plough has a MASSIVE footie and cricketing heritage, with a number of landlords and customers being cricketers and cricket supporters over the years. I had an email conversation with a woman recently whose great-grandfather was an ex-Yorkshire player and ran the place towards the end of the C19th.

My own connection is through my great grand-uncle Edwin Stephenson, known as Merry Ned for reasons that will become clear. He was the first Yorkshire wicket-keeper, played in the first official Yorks/Lancs match, and in 1864 he travelled by sailing ship on the first overseas trip to play for England in Melbourne, Australia. A Sharrow lad (he ran a cricket ball and tobacconists shop in Bramall Lane), in 1872 he was given the honour of a testimonial at the Roses match at the Bramall Lane ground.

Cricketers at the time were well known for their drinking and cricket anthologies of the time refer to him propping up the bar and singing loud songs in his home from home - the old Plough. Eventually he was consigned to an asylum in Liverpool for inebriates where he died in 1896.

!

Unfortunately they probably wont be spending much now though!

Is that what people want nowadays in 'Pub' food in general ?

Cricket at Totley seems to have it right. They are packed, not far from Thyme either maybe Richard Smith should consider it.

..I was just giving an example of the creativeness of the catering staff there, traditional pub fayre was also available and excellently executed. It's such a shame you and others might never have the opportunity to indulge in that apple crumble parfait..unbelievable! :smile:

It used to be busy when run by 'Bill' who then moved on to the Cross Scythes at Totley. I think it started to go downhill after he went.

Last time I ate there - early in the year the food was great, but the place didnt seem to know whether it was a local pub or a decent restaurant.

Being local I'd like to see it become busy again. I would think its a little small to be mainly a food place (the kitchen is tiny). It has the potential to be a decent pub along the lines of the Ranmoor Inn.

Archived