How popular is The Plough Inn, Sandygate Road S10

goldenfleece

It has the potential to be a decent pub along the lines of the Ranmoor Inn.

Aren't both establishments classed as being run by The Sheffield Pub Company?

The Ranmoor seems to be surviving so it's a pity that The Plough isn't. We've lost The King's Head; we don't want to lose another 'local'.

The Plough used to be a decent, popular Whitbread house. I lament its demise.

Aren't both establishments classed as being run by The Sheffield Pub Company?

The Ranmoor seems to be surviving so it's a pity that The Plough isn't. We've lost The King's Head; we don't want to lose another 'local'.

The Plough used to be a decent, popular Whitbread house. I lament its demise.

To my knowledge Nigel (Landlord of the Ranmoor Inn) owns the Just William (or similar) pub company which as well as the Ranmoor Inn also runs the White/Red Lion in Heeley and that corner pub (Tut n Shive?)opposite the big HSBC offices in town. He takes the lease for the Ranmoor inn from the Sheff Pub Co perhaps but I think the Plough is Enterprise.

As you may have gathered though my knowledge is a bit sketchy!

He takes the lease for the Ranmoor inn from the Sheff Pub Co perhaps but I think the Plough is Enterprise.

As you may have gathered though my knowledge is a bit sketchy!

No you're right Rip, the Plough was/is Enterprise. I'm surprised that so many well located pubs in the West of sheffield seem to struggle, the Fulwood Inn being one and latterly the old Hanrahans.

I think the Plough is Enterprise - but I also recall it saying 'The Sheffield Pub Co,' on the door....

Ade

It is now Enterprize but it was Sheffield pub co before that, and a Whitbread house before that for MANY years......

There are "many interested parties" showing an interest in the Plough according to the BRM I met yesterday, including some contributors to this thread.....however, as you may or may not know, it is the job of any BRM to give the impression any pub is 'hot property' so they can complete a quick deal for the highest rent offer......the rent is currently 39K and 'totally non negotiable' (but then all BRM's say that too...) PLUS its a 100% FULL TIE on EVERYTHING!!!!

We will see what happens......I'm in two minds about it.....no pubs are thriving in that area at all really....

Hi,

Though the Plough has underachieved as a pub in the last few years, there have been many previous years when it thrived. Clearly it can get custom in, when the right approach is taken to that.

Against that, it does sound like the brewery are overvaluing a run-down business, and if they are looking to tie in the produce too, then they need to take a reality check and look at a more sensible valuation until the business is running at a proper level again.

Don't these organisations ever look at rents being attributed on a turnover basis to help get the business running profitably at a level where someone will want to commit the time to do this?

I'm not in the trade at all, but from what comes out occasionally, it sounds like the brewery business models need bringing up to date.

Ade

blimey goldenfleece, you just brought back some memories! we used to go there in the 80's, think we got barred a few times too, bar was always 5 deep, and i vaguely remember somethin danglin down from the roof, afraid those days are a bit hazy tho.....:hihi: maybe a few too many :gag::gag: but back then if we wern't been :gag: in one pub we were usually :gag: somewhwew else :hihi::hihi:

very sad news if it has finally closed, I knew the Plough from old and was never that impressed but having been back again 6 months ago I was knocked out by the food quality and friendly staff. Went in several times and had fantastic, orginal food every time! Where else in a pub environment can you get home cooked chips, crocodile steak and home made apple crumble parfait?! Goldenfleece if you are interested track down Mark, his partner and their chef Simon and spend a few quid bringing the property into the 21st Century.

You're right about the food. Their gourmet nights were brilliant, six courses for £15 and the quality was fantastic. They were so customer focussed, nothing too much trouble and it's a real shame they've gone. They are travelling for a while and then intend to buy a pub, as the lease was so expensive. Hope they manage to get one in Sheffield, cos I would certainly be knocking on the door for food.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived