The Wards (Darts) League

Billy Casper

Anyone on here who used to play in the Wards league? I played a few years (started mid 80's) for the Commercial on Weedon Street when Reg Williams (R.I.P) had it. There were some really good players around then and as a young lad in the league there was no better baptism of fire!

Played for the Red House on Solly Street approx 81 - 84. We were always in contention for the wooden spoon. Commercial were a good team, played my first ever game against them. I hit 45 with my first set, not bad I thought...Commercial player, still in overalls straight from work hit 180. He played left handed, long fair gingerish hair.

Other teams I remember in that league were the Manchester, Harlequin, Midland, Jack In A Box, Prince of Wales at Chapeltown (top pint).

Anyone on here who used to play in the Wards league? I played a few years (started mid 80's) for the Commercial on Weedon Street when Reg Williams (R.I.P) had it. There were some really good players around then and as a young lad in the league there was no better baptism of fire!

i played for them does this bring any mems back thats me on regs right next to g bills

2007-11-1708-39-52_0043.jpg

i played for them does this bring any mems back thats me on regs right next to g bills

2007-11-1708-39-52_0043.jpg

Bloody hell!!!!! It's a bit before my time this pic but i do recognise Alan Staniforth and Barry Walker if i'm not mistaken? I remember you too (i think?) did your daughter used to do a bit of scoring aswell? I got asked to come along with my mate Paul Bullas. We ended up playing for most of the pubs on the cliffe including quite a few years for the Carbrook Hall along with Pete Taylor, Danny Gilliver, Joe Brookes, Doggie John, and i believe you yourself played for them a while? Memories!

Bloody hell!!!!! It's a bit before my time this pic but i do recognise Alan Staniforth and Barry Walker if i'm not mistaken? I remember you too (i think?) did your daughter used to do a bit of scoring aswell? I got asked to come along with my mate Paul Bullas. We ended up playing for most of the pubs on the cliffe including quite a few years for the Carbrook Hall along with Pete Taylor, Danny Gilliver, Joe Brookes, Doggie John, and i believe you yourself played for them a while? Memories!

my dauter did come at thatime

i rember paul bulas when i play for the bridge at the other end of weedon

the picture was most likely before your time

the only time i played with doggy john is when i played with the norfork at hansworth

and in the super legue in rotherham i hung my darts up in 91 as the saying goes

in the photo its l to r g bills me reg m verity a staniforth r carrles t dutton b walker and a lad called jimmy for got is second name he was deaf and dumb once saw him on the tv in the corner of a sheffield wresteler

Played for the Red House on Solly Street approx 81 - 84. We were always in contention for the wooden spoon. Commercial were a good team, played my first ever game against them. I hit 45 with my first set, not bad I thought...Commercial player, still in overalls straight from work hit 180. He played left handed, long fair gingerish hair.

Other teams I remember in that league were the Manchester, Harlequin, Midland, Jack In A Box, Prince of Wales at Chapeltown (top pint).

i bet the vicer was stood at the bar

every time i played there he was

played in the wards league from about 1981 to 89. played for crown on harleston street then we packed up there about 84 and we all regrouped in the tea gardens ellesmere road.

had a decent side usually finished in top 4. once lost in individuals final think that was 87. had some great nights in the old tea pot back then.

my dauter did come at thatime

i rember paul bulas when i play for the bridge at the other end of weedon

the picture was most likely before your time

the only time i played with doggy john is when i played with the norfork at hansworth

and in the super legue in rotherham i hung my darts up in 91 as the saying goes

in the photo its l to r g bills me reg m verity a staniforth r carrles t dutton b walker and a lad called jimmy for got is second name he was deaf and dumb once saw him on the tv in the corner of a sheffield wresteler

jimmy lapper

• 1 year later...

danny gillivers my dad! i remember going to presentations with him when i was little for trophys and stuff.

Archived