Seimens furnacemen at firth browns

oscarpie

• 1 year later...
Firth Browns Siemens furnaces were situated between Carlisle St and Savile St and were demolished around1970 and a70 ton electric arc furnace built on the siteThe bridge across from the Corner Pin was known as Browns bridge there was always a chain horse stood there to help with the heavily loaded drays The bridge lower down Carlisle St across from the Carlisle(Swainees) was known as Cammels bridgeI knew quite a few siemens workers over the years but James Wallace doesnt ring a bell

I have a postcard of a triumphal arch for a visit by King Edward VII at "Browns Bridge" (spanning a road with 2 parallel tram lines), it's made from 2 forging presses, the top looks like a battleship's bridge with 4 guns with the caption "Britain's Defence". I believe the King visited Sheffield in July 1905, which would fit, can anyone confirm the location? Many thanks :help:

• 13 years later...
On 17/12/2004 at 14:27, radiomick said:

Hi Kingfisher,

I remember Les Gill,he was the foreman in the Norfolk Melting Shop when I started in 1960.

By the way are you going to the Reunion on the 29th Dec

(1-00pm in the Trades &Labour Club)

i remember les a good man and good friend of my dad george hyde