Ranmoor Inn / Bulls Head & Rising Sun Fullwood

Blacksheep

The Ranmoor Inn is probably the best but I would say in my experience West 10 is the nicest place to drink and eat by far, slightly different atmosphere of course but as others have said excellent nonetheless. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but it has lost a tiny bit of atmosphere since the smoking ban, I'm a non-smoker but it's smokiness did do something for it in an odd way. The Fulwood Inn has a rather soulless feeling to me and I have never been to the Rising Sun I'm afraid.

It's ridiculous that a bar like West 10 which prides itself on its excellent wines, champagnes and foods can sell cigars to complement the aforementioned - yet you have to go outside to indulge. (These are Havana cigars too!)

I'm also a non-smoker but fully understand what you're saying.

It has lost a bit of its 'soul' but at least a bottle of Cloudy Bay can soon make you feel at ease....,

• 1 month later...

Personally I would recommed the Rising Sun at the moment. Ranmoor Inn has got very cliquey , also not a fan of the people drink driving up Ranmoor Road.

I also find the landlord rather snobbish and do not appreciate the fact that he views he can use Ranmoor as a toilet for his dog.

Bull's Head blows hot and cold. The previous manageress has gone but whenever I've been in you can count on one hand how many people are in there. On its day it's a cracking pub and they still serve food at the usual times.

The Ranmoor has the best beer range and also serves food though I haven't tried the latter. It's clean and cosy and run by some Christians which you'd think might be a clash of interests. Still, that's not a problem and it's a welcoming place.

The Fulwood Inn doesn't quite give you the value it makes out to but it's certainly a nicer place to go than it was a few months back. It's also the only kid-friendly pub locally.

West 10 serves unbelievable quality food including lighter bar meals in the day. This is not pub grub and Johnny's selection of wines and champagnes is the best this side of town (and arguably including town).

The Rising Sun, half a mile up the road used to by my local between 1987-1999. It is now run by Abbeydale Brewery but despite some wonderful real ales and lagers, the place is like a morgue or a library - you wonder whether you're allowed to talk in there. Still, it offers something a little different to the Ranmoor pubs but it's not to my liking.

Failing all this, there's the curry house (which is pleasant if nothing more), a chippy and a chinese plus of course, the off licence. Now I know why my brother and his wife were so content living in Ranmoor.....,

hear hear. agree with everything@

• 1 year later...

We often go down to the Rising Sun on a Tuesday night, and any later than 9.30pm and you have had to stand of late.

But this whole question is far too subjective as we all like different things - I personally would leave West 10 well alone but others have praised it highly . The OP really needs to try these places and come to their own conclusions.

The Rising Sun is the best real ale pub in Sheffield (in my opinion!)

Twelve real ales on draught, changing weekly, and around five or six lagers (we're not talking Carling here) plus a big selection of bottled beers that most of us have never even heard of (see the bottled beers menu)

It's real ale heaven.

The Rising Sun is the best real ale pub in Sheffield (in my opinion!)

Twelve real ales on draught, changing weekly, and around five or six lagers (we're not talking Carling here) plus a big selection of bottled beers that most of us have never even heard of (see the bottled beers menu)

It's real ale heaven.

Nowt wrong wi Carling :love:

Sorry, I just cant be doing with real ale.

Archived