The Plough, Sandygate Road S10

goldenfleece

Trying to find some interior snaps/pix taken inside this pub when it was a Whitbread FUN pub, opening September 1982 until its demise around 1987.....for anyone who used to drink in there between those years, did you take any snaps? It was converted by Whitbread in the Summer of 82 from a run down and empty old mans pub with lots of old fashioned rooms, into one huge cavern of a bar, and was incredibly popular for the first 2 or 3 years of its new life.

In particular looking for shots of the huge hanging Plough from the roof, suspended on chains. Whitbread removed half of the upper living accommodation floor to create this cavern of a place, and then replaced the original ceiling in 1987 with a fake suspended one.

There was also some raised seating areas, different to how they are now, and any general views of the interior wanted.....

this was probably the first of Whitbread's Sheffield FUN pubs which started in 1982 and lasted until 87 ish.....Don't think any of them survive with the original internal decor now. This was Whitbreads first 'chain' style enterprise, although there was no common look in the 80's, they were all themed differently, and the forerunner of the Tut N Shive and Scream theme chain pubs.....

I believe Brian Moore carried out all the building alterations on the 'Plough' refurbishment.

He used to live on Northfield Road at Crookes at that time.

I would think he would be able to give you more info if you contacted him.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck

• 1 month later...

Yes, I seem to remember the Plough being turned from a quiet pub where you could go for a chat, into what can only be described as a disco. I presume this was Whitbread's idea of a "fun pub". Me and my mates were in our 20s so not "old", but we appreciated conversation so that's when we changed to the Sportsman!

Sorry, no photos.

Archived