Old Sheffield prints identification

PopT

bought some old Sheffield prints from a Flea Market.

Most of them I can recognise but two of them have me licked.

One is entitled 'Market Place' and is a stone fronted building in between a row of shops and would appear to me as being situated near the top of The Moor but I could be wrong.

The other one is entitled, Firth's Alms Houses, the houses have long twin chimneys and look like the Alms Houses at Norfolk Park but there is a chapel steeple at the rear of the house which I cannot recognise.

Can anyone help me to identify these two pictures? Please.

Happy Days!

I bought some old Sheffield prints from a Flea Market.

Most of them I can recognise but two of them have me licked.

One is entitled 'Market Place' and is a stone fronted building in between a row of shops and would appear to me as being situated near the top of The Moor but I could be wrong.

The other one is entitled, Firth's Alms Houses, the houses have long twin chimneys and look like the Alms Houses at Norfolk Park but there is a chapel steeple at the rear of the house which I cannot recognise.

Can anyone help me to identify these two pictures? Please.

Happy Days!

would be easier if you posted the pictures also

"Market Place" in Sheffield was more or less where the Castle Square tram stop is, now. the Bankers' Draft pub address is Market Place I believe. (where the hole in the road was?)

Firths Almshouses are on Nether Green Road, in Fulwood Area.

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl

this picture on Picsheff' shows the almshouses with a steeple just behind

s02637

"Market Place" in Sheffield was more or less where the Castle Square tram stop is, now. the Bankers' Draft pub address is Market Place I believe. (where the hole in the road was?)

You're spot on, Plain Talker. Long before C & A and the Hole in the Road and, indeed, long before the ill-fated Marples Hotel was built, Sheffield's market was at the north side of Fitzalan Square - it's now the tram top and the small area below this. The Bankers Draft pub was so called because the building (which dates from 1902) had, until about 15 years ago, housed the "Market Place, Sheffield" branch of the Midland Bank (of which I wrote a short history). Here's a picture of 1978 showing the Hole in the Road: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/MarketPlace.jpg

The building was originally the York City & County Bank, and I think the name of this bank can still be seen on the large bronze doors at the left side of the pub. Market Place is indeed the postal address of the Bankers Draft and a few adjacent businesses, and there might still (?) be a MARKET PLACE street sign at the left side of the pub. On 19 October 1970, hillsbro turned up in his best (i.e. only) suit to start work as a messenger at this branch of the Midland Bank, and stayed there for five years until the Midland relocated its Head Office to Sheffield and he went on to bigger things...

Archived