Victorian Sheffield Bottles

OLD No.12

Somewhere I have an old, green Wheatley & Bates bottle (also a couple of old postcards advertising "Stym", their non-alcoholic hop bitters). Here is an extract from my notes:

John Rutland Wheatley began work in c. 1851 as a "brewer’s traveller" resident in Norfolk Street. By 1859 he was a "black beer and cordial manufacturer" in Division Street. Later the firm of "John Wheatley & Son", had a large brewery in Napier Street and at other locations. Directories of the early 1890s describe the firm as "wine and spirit merchants, black beer brewers, mineral water and cordial manufacturers and hop bitter brewers". By this time they were brewing 200 barrels a day of hop bitters, using water drawn from their own artesian wells. Some time after 1895 the firm merged with Bates & Co. to form Wheatley and Bates, and they opened a branch in Dublin. John Rutland Wheatley became Lord Mayor of Sheffield in 1903-04; he died in 1916. The firm of Wheatley & Bates continued in business until the late 1940s when it evidently fell victim to post-war reorganisation in the drinks trade.

Do you have any sheffield old pots/bottles that are packed away and forgotten about, or any stories regarding the title name.

I have at my mums over 50 sheffield half pint beer bottles with the black screw thread tops and stone ginger beer bottles dug up from a old tip in stannington Ive had them since the nineteen 80's

Iv got some really old Hendersons Relish bottles in different sizes that i have never been able to get any info about like how old they are, also milk bottles beer bottles with dairys and brewerys names embossed on them and loads of medicine and ink pots dig up over the years.

WE have a half pint dimple glass that was in regular use when we took a pub over in the 70s.

We were amazed not to see a mark or a crack on it when we rescued it.

It's dated 1953. Also 2 pint glasses with George 5th stamp and a queens jubilee 1977.

I know these aren't really OLD but to think they were being used every day in a pub they have survived.

Back in the 60's i worked at Burdalls on Penistone Rd (in The Baracks)...for a short while I was in the Department that produced liquid products, Disinfectant, Cough Medicine, Perfume and stuff like that...And in the bottle wharehouse I was introduced to the world of bottles...They all had special names depending on the shape and size..Like 12 oz Cannons, 6 oz bishops etc:..There must be a website or something..that goes into this subject.

pinkace

There are a few old Henderson's Relish bottles on display in the Weston Park Museum,If I remember rightly they are all dated.

I'm sure they would give you more info on the age of your bottles.

There is also a bottle museum at Elsecar where you could visit or contact them for info.

Hope this helps you.

Happy Days!

Archived