Wes Mason the Cyclist

Did Wes Mason ever become a professional ?

i've been looking up some records of the British National road Championships and Wes came third in the Amateur race in 1962...But a another cyclist (who I have trained with in the 60's)

called "Ron Coe" also of Sheffield...He won gold 3 times in 1957 58 & 59 in the Pro: race, he also was in the TDF twice but never finished the Tour..apart from Simpson who i believe came from Rawmarsh..He has to be one of Sheffields top cyclists ever..But there is very little info: I can find about him.

Did Wes Mason ever become a professional ?

i've been looking up some records of the British National road Championships and Wes came third in the Amateur race in 1962...But a another cyclist (who I have trained with in the 60's)

called "Ron Coe" also of Sheffield...He won gold 3 times in 1957 58 & 59 in the Pro: race, he also was in the TDF one year..apart from Simpson who i believe came from Rawmarsh..He has to be one of sheffields top cyclists ever..But there is very little info: I can find about him.

I believe Wes Mason turned pro when he rode for a French team.

I've heard of Ron Coe. but that is about it. Let us hope someone on the forum is more knowledgeable.

If its the correct person. I believe Tommy? Simpson from Doncater suffered the final fate due to drugs, in the Tour de France.

Its a long time ago, so I stand to be corrected.

Although I must add, ' Happy days, even when ****kered!!'.

I believe Wes Mason turned pro when he rode for a French team.

I've heard of Ron Coe. but that is about it. Let us hope someone on the forum is more knowledgeable.

If its the correct person. I believe Tommy? Simpson from Doncater suffered the final fate due to drugs, in the Tour de France.

Its a long time ago, so I stand to be corrected.

Although I must add, ' Happy days, even when ****kered!!'.

Tommy came from Harworth and he died in the tour in July 1967 on Mt Venteox.

He is burried, or is ashes are in Harworth church were I have visited on several occations after racing the circuit there myself on the North Mids league.

Wes Mason certainly won the Premier league in 1962 were as Simpson never did as he was proffessional by then.

I to have no collection of Mason riding the big continental races he was a true Brit hard man along with Porter and numourous others.

My husband Bob Winter rode with Wes Mason he came to our wedding - he moved to Harrogate and unfortunately his marriage broke up and we lost touch - I believe he went on to work for the Royal Mail. Bob was a good cyclist and won enough races to be selected for the Milk race in 1967 but was taken ill and had to retire from cycling for a couple of years.

Can anyone remember what the bike shop on London road was called ? It was very near Don morrison moutaineering shop. I seem to recall a bike hung up on the back wall that looked old. Although i was young at the time (mid 1970s) some one once told me this particular bike/rider won a famous race. Anyone have any ideas ?.

Archived