RIP Norman Bardwell

Dick

I went in last week I dont go invery often I tend to just buy rechargable batteries from them now as they are good quality and very reasonable priced.

The staff are always helpfull and unusually for the 21st Centuary knowlagable , not something you find these days.

I remember my brother taking me to the shop in Sellers Street when I would be about 7 or 8 .

Sympathys to his family

That stuck-down coin was far from the only trick they pulled on unsuspecting customers... I remember one guy who came into the shop, said he'd ordered some small parts over the phone and had they got them in yet? Rod disappeared upstairs and came down a few minutes later, staggering under the weight of a very large cardboard box, with much puffing and panting, he placed it in front of the customer on the counter and said... "There they are, special order... two gross of 'em, wasn't it...". When the customer had finished spluttering and insisting that he'd only asked them to order two for him, Rod opened the virtually empty box and showed him the two tiny components it contained... Evil! ;)

That stuck-down coin was far from the only trick they pulled on unsuspecting customers... I remember one guy who came into the shop, said he'd ordered some small parts over the phone and had they got them in yet? Rod disappeared upstairs and came down a few minutes later, staggering under the weight of a very large cardboard box, with much puffing and panting, he placed it in front of the customer on the counter and said... "There they are, special order... two gross of 'em, wasn't it...". When the customer had finished spluttering and insisting that he'd only asked them to order two for him, Rod opened the virtually empty box and showed him the two tiny components it contained... Evil! ;)

class :)

i just rang up coz i urgently need a specific adaptor for some photos im taking this morning, to be greeted with a recorded message saying the shop is closed all day for mr bardwell's funeral :( very sad news, the shop is an institution, long may it continue.

On the way to Heeley Baths along Sellers St, we would always stop and look in Bardwells window and at all the stuff they had on display outside.

Remembering buying a tapping key ( don't know the correct description ) for producing Morse Code signals. we also bought glass prisms, recovered I believe from submarine periscopes. When you looked through them there were the colours of the rainbow i.e.

ROYGBIV around everything and dependent on the angle at which you looked through them, the ground would be either sloping away from you or you would be looking uphill.

' Eh by Gum ' the things we played with as kids.

I was sorry to see in the Sheffield Telegraph that Mr Bardwell has died.

It's interesting to read how he started his shop.

He was the original recycler, stripping down government surplus and selling the parts.

For those of us interested in radio and electronic gadgets his shop has always been part of our lives, from crystal set days.

Long may it continue.

Very nice man .very sincere and nice to talk too.R.I.P

Archived