Oldest pub in sheff??

mgblade

which is the oldest pub in sheffield?

i always thought it was the "QUEENS HEAD" in the bus station, but talking to old fellow today he reckons its the "NAILMAKERS" top of gleadless valley near the water tower.

he said it used to be the queens until the county boundry was moved because the nailmakers used to be in derbyshire.

is he talkin rubbish or not???

which is the oldest pub in sheffield?

i always thought it was the "QUEENS HEAD" in the bus station, but talking to old fellow today he reckons its the "NAILMAKERS" top of gleadless valley near the water tower.

he said it used to be the queens until the county boundry was moved because the nailmakers used to be in derbyshire.

is he talkin rubbish or not???

I was told it was the Queens Head some years ago.

i was told some yrs back .... altho it no longer exists , that the bull & oak in the wicker was the oldest purpose built licensed prems in sheff .... so maybe now the queens has taken over

not sure that this would be strictly true, Wizard, cos the Queens Head wasn't a purpose-built licensed premises... it was Mary QOS's laundry at one point.

(didn't think the bull and oak was that old, anyway!)

o many pubs have been rebuilt and moved over the years that this question is virtually unanswerable unless the question is qualified.

It is said the monks made the beer for the Black Bull in Ecclesfield long before the Queen's Head was built but yet the present pub is nowhere as old as the Queens Head building.

The ever changing city boundaries and Licencing are other factors to take into consideration.

Happy Days!

Archived