Does anyone know how I can get the history of a house?

Jillybabes

I work at Westbourne School and the house is called Ashdell House, all I know is that it was built in 1850 and that it used to belong to Sheffield University. It must have been a grand old house in its day. I have done searches on google and cant seem to find anything.

• 1 month later...

Don't look as you've excited much interest! I'm no expert on this subject, but you could look through the old Kellys', and similar directories, held at Local Studies in the Central Library. Together with census returns for the dates since 1850, you'll find who lived there and how they were employed, etc. The Sheffield Family History Society are likely to have some information on the occupants once you know a name. You might find that inspecting the deeds would throw up other information in respect of changes of ownership, and Building Control, in Howden House, could have some record of any alterations which have been carried out since Ashdell House was built.

Hope that helps if you are still in a quandary!

I work at Westbourne School and the house is called Ashdell House, all I know is that it was built in 1850 and that it used to belong to Sheffield University. It must have been a grand old house in its day. I have done searches on google and cant seem to find anything.

This might be a good place to start.

http://www.ashdell.org.uk/press.shtml

Archived