Can anyone remember

Par1s

To plain Talker, your comments about Long Henry St got me thinking I used to deliver papers for the newsagent at Duke St end Bates was his name A little shop window house 2bob a week,including Sundays By gum we lived like kings in them days (I don't think) but just the same happy days 1936

Hillsborough people "of a certain age" are lucky. On their way to school they would savour the delicious smell wafting along Middlewood Road from Simpkin's sweet factory nearby. Fast forward 70 years and the very same smell sweetens the air as they emerge from Morrisons or Home Bargains...

To plain Talker, your comments about Long Henry St got me thinking I used to deliver papers for the newsagent at Duke St end Bates was his name A little shop window house 2bob a week,including Sundays By gum we lived like kings in them days (I don't think) but just the same happy days 1936

Yes, but as my father always reminds me, about when he was a kid; a penny got you the "pick of the sweet shop window".

even as a child growing up in the 60s, i remember being given a tanner (6d- 2 1/2 new pence for the post-decimalised amongst us) by various aunts/ uncles and feeling like I'd been given the world! Given half a crown, and, by gum, you were JD Rockefeller!

Archived