Want to join the Territorial Army??

not meant to be a selling point...anybody who joins needs to know what they are signing up for at the end of the day don't they!

Yes I would agree with you. Personally I take the view that putting my life on the line is a bad enough proposition to begin with. Doing it for a lie is beyond all my comprehension.

Once you are a soldier you obey! Done deal! You become more than a defender you become a tool of Governments.

I'm not knocking here BTW as my posts elsewhere will show. I'm trying to give a wider perspective. :)

I thought about sending you this question as a PM but more people may be interested in the answer so I thought I would post it here.

What regiment are you with?

How old do you have to be or hold old is too old to join?

I am with The Yorkshire Regiment.

I think you can join from 17 with parents permission> The age has gone up as well - it used to be 32 but it is higher now.

Now now, if others are being rude or insensitive lowering yourself to others standards wont make anything better.

Ignore it and move on, if need be, report it :thumbsup:

Anyway on the subject of TA, RAF volunteers etc I would be interested in doing the training. I'd even consider the part where you get mobilised and go to war.

My concern mainly is the length of time you're on tour. I personally think the TA soldiers are sent away for far too long a period. They're civilians first and foremost and have lives at home.

If the military saw fit to deploy TA soldiers for shorter tours (i.e. 6 weeks) then the TA may be a better fit for me. However with work commitments and home commitments it would never be something I could consider seriously.

When you are mobilised you are no longer a TA soldier, you are regular. I have been mobilised for 12 months which includes my pre operational training, my 6 months tour, and my paid leave at the end of it.

They are 6 month tours I am afraid - unless you are a medic. I think they do 3 or 4 month tours.

When you are mobilised you are no longer a TA soldier, you are regular. I have been mobilised for 12 months which includes my pre operational training, my 6 months tour, and my paid leave at the end of it.

They are 6 month tours I am afraid - unless you are a medic. I think they do 3 or 4 month tours.

The thing is you're not a full time soldier. You are a civilian first and foremost. If you were a regular, you'd be a regular.

Regular soldiers are training daily for this sort of engagement, you get your basic training. Two weeks a year and a few weekends. Then you go though mobilisation training and yet you're still expected to be as competent as a full time soldier and do all the front line duties that go with it, including 6 month tours (unless you're Prince Harry of course).

I personally don't agree that the government should send part time soldiers to do a regular front line duty. They should be back up in case the troops are low. What the government do is only pay the part time TA to do the work they have to pay a regular to do everyday. You get your pay during the tour and maybe the leave payment. Excellent.

A soldier who is full time gets that everyday, day in day out. You are therefore called upon by the government to do their bidding, without them having to pay you to keep you each and every day while there are no wars to fight or tours to undertake. So like I say if the tours were shorter for the TA soldiers and they were used as a merely back up force (whether or not that involved some frontline action) then I'd consider the TA. I think I'll stick to paintballing :P

The thing is you're not a full time soldier. You are a civilian first and foremost. If you were a regular, you'd be a regular.

Regular soldiers are training daily for this sort of engagement, you get your basic training. Two weeks a year and a few weekends. Then you go though mobilisation training and yet you're still expected to be as competent as a full time soldier and do all the front line duties that go with it, including 6 month tours (unless you're Prince Harry of course).

I personally don't agree that the government should send part time soldiers to do a regular front line duty. They should be back up in case the troops are low. What the government do is only pay the part time TA to do the work they have to pay a regular to do everyday. You get your pay during the tour and maybe the leave payment. Excellent.

A soldier who is full time gets that everyday, day in day out. You are therefore called upon by the government to do their bidding, without them having to pay you to keep you each and every day while there are no wars to fight or tours to undertake. So like I say if the tours were shorter for the TA soldiers and they were used as a merely back up force (whether or not that involved some frontline action) then I'd consider the TA. I think I'll stick to paintballing :P

I have trained for this for 2 and a half years. I have been to hell and back in my training it has been that tough. I am now a regular soldier. I train Monday to Friday every week and will have done 3 months of it prior to going to Afghanistan. I woudl stay myslef and a few of the other lads I am going with are better at the job than most regular soldiers of the same rank.

I know I am because I work with them.

Most of the guys I am going with have done 2 or 3 tours and have more experience than most regular soldiers.

If you put us side by side to regs you wouldn't notice a difference. Apart from with the TA you get the odd fat one.

I have trained for this for 2 and a half years. I have been to hell and back in my training it has been that tough. I am now a regular soldier. I train Monday to Friday every week and will have done 3 months of it prior to going to Afghanistan. I woudl stay myslef and a few of the other lads I am going with are better at the job than most regular soldiers of the same rank.

I know I am because I work with them.

Most of the guys I am going with have done 2 or 3 tours and have more experience than most regular soldiers.

If you put us side by side to regs you wouldn't notice a difference. Apart from with the TA you get the odd fat one.

I think you have missed my point but not to worry.

Good luck out there and come back safe :)

Archived