Waverley cottages

michael5370

Now I know where you mean :) I couldn't swear to it but they may have belonged to the Nunnery Coal Mine which was quite close to where they are. It seems weird that everything else has been levelled but they are still standing so I would presume they have some local history interest.

I must admit the door does sound intriguing - maybe the central cellar was used as a bomb shelter during the war? Just a suggestion obviously but I do recall my dad saying their cellar at Pitsmoor was used for the whole street during air raids when he was a kid.

Now I know where you mean :) I couldn't swear to it but they may have belonged to the Nunnery Coal Mine which was quite close to where they are. It seems weird that everything else has been levelled but they are still standing so I would presume they have some local history interest.

I must admit the door does sound intriguing - maybe the central cellar was used as a bomb shelter during the war? Just a suggestion obviously but I do recall my dad saying their cellar at Pitsmoor was used for the whole street during air raids when he was a kid.

We had to knock a hole in our cellar wall to get through to the next door if we were bombed.That was when we were in the wicker.

Hi Michael 5370.

My daughter lived in the next to last one at the bottom near the gate until she got divorced.They called them Gore. It might be the same house.The cellars tend to flood after prolonged rain but they are very cosey. They bought it from an employee of Handsworth Pit whose shaft was in the fields behind.Caronlel is correct they did indeed belong to Handsworth Coal Mine known locally as Nunnery Coal Mine. The Cottages were only rented out to Staff Members of the Pit.Hope this is of some use to you. DAVIDED.

Dear Plain Talker.Its about 6 years since my Daughter lived in the Cottages and all i can tell you is that the family that lived next door were very religious. I think the Husband played the guitar. I can find out more from my Daughter if you want me to.

Regards DAVIDED

Archived