Waverley cottages

michael5370

I must admit the door does sound intriguing - maybe the central cellar was used as a bomb shelter during the war?

During the war years, houses had doors in the attic or cellar to allow people to get to the air raid shelters without venturing out onto the street where they may have got hit by flying debris.

Hi Plain Talker.Ive got a bit more info for you. Jane and Rick Francesco i think that`s their name, not sure if its the right spelling of it though. Jane and Rick still live there at the end, its their house that`s up for sale. Jane has a hairdressing shop at Handsworth at the side of Handsworth Methodist Church.Hope this helps.

DAVIDED

• 4 years later...

The track past them used to go all the way to Catcliffe coming out about where the Big W was and then more or less followed the current road past JPW skirting the slag heap.

Just after the last cottage was an arched entrance to a drift mine.It used to be out in the open with a barred grill and it sloped downhill to Handsworth pit.

Below that was just after the cast iron railway bridge was the pit, it definately wasn't Nunnery (That was about where Makro is now] It was Waverley. Up to the late sixties it stood derelict, headgear, conveyor belt, outbuildings, a great but unbelievably dangerous place to play. At that time Handsworth pit less than 1/2 a mile away was still working. To the right of the pit looking down on Orgreave coking plant [unbelievably smelly] was a huge slag heap, often on fire internally.There was a smaller slag heap directlly behind the cottages with a scrap yard nearby.

The railway line that goes behind the White Rose and passes below the cottages is in a very deep cutting, it actually used to be a tunnel but was demolished by dynamite. There are photos of this event on the library site.

Hope you find some of this interesting.

Archived