80s/90s BR permanent way van info.

Sniper

Hi all, any one remember these vans I used to see them all the

time in BR days around sheffield they where really distinctive

yellow lorrys with a sort of cabin on the back the midland was the best place to see them at the small depot they have there

now if anyone has any info on what was in the cabin Id love

to hear from you. :help:

BR in the those days Red Stripe Railfright Large Logo Blue

remember majic. :smile:

we bought one of these lorries and converted it into a recovery truck, so removed the cabin off the back.

It was a mess type room, complete with a little cooker and sink

and the warmest heater i've ever known, we kept the back for staorage in our yard for ages.......mmmm memories:thumbsup:

New or used? I think they're affectionately known as 'Chip vans'.

(I'll just await correction on that one)

They were superceded by huge great ford transits with a similar interior job. I was given a tour of a Jarvis one when it was brand spankin' new in about 2000. The side door let into the mess, and the back was ?? storage shelves??

'Oh look! Bunkbeds!' was the comment made to my(5ft)self and the 'vertically challenged' guy next to me!

Originally posted by Sniper

Cheers for the reply do you know where I can buy one have u got any pics Id love to see them:clap:

Try asking somebody on this forum :thumbsup:

Mr Strix says that they were scrapped because there was an issue with the classification of the vehicles (HGV) hence the replacement with the large transits.

Archived