Suggestions for a good restaurant in Sheffield.

katey_h23

I need to book a restaurant for a romantic anniversairy meal, for this Saturday, but don't know where the best place to go is! I need somewhere in Sheffield centre. Italian would be good, or anything really!

Where are your favourites???

Ooooh... well, depends what you're into.

I've taken the girlfriend to a few, so here's some favourites:

--------------------------------------------------

Trattoria Romana, 438 Ecclesall Road

This is a top quality Italian restaurant, and they always have a great selection of "specials". (The waitresses don't bother with the false Italian accent either... they're from Sheffield and they're proud of it!) I've been there about 3 times and always had a fantastic meal.

Tel: 0114 266 5491

La Mancha (West Street)

This is a Spanish tapas restaurant really, but has a great selection of main courses on the menu too. We didn't book and they really made the effort to move tables round and work out when bookings were coming in / levaing, etc. The food & service were both great.

Tel: 0114 273 8885

Slammers (Ecclesall Road)

A fish restaurant with an "edge"... this place feels romantic too. The presentation of the food was great, and tasted fantastic. It's a bit on the expensive side, but work it for a special occassion. However, it's take ur own wine - so that makes up for it I guess ;) If you don't like fish, don't bother going though, cos that's all there is on the menu (apart from 1 steak and 1 veggie dish).

Tel: 0114 268 0999

I hope that helps! Let us know how you get on.

Tony :)

jesus, stay well clear of la mancha. That was by far the worst tapas I have ever eaten and the service was just appalling. It's not romantic either, the waiters encourage standing on tables knocking back tequila and hand out sombreros to huge groups of women on hen nights. Not fun. Also when I was eating there, a drunken girl out on west street shoved her arse up against the window and half the restaraunt fell of their chairs in shock.

If you want tapas, I can heartily recommend Cubana. Nonnas is meant to be very good on eccleshall road for italian, and Pizza Volante on Glossop Road is very good.

By the way what happened to Casablanca on Devonshire green?

Originally posted by "theflyingfish"

jesus, stay well clear of la mancha. That was by far the worst tapas I have ever eaten and the service was just appalling. It's not romantic either, the waiters encourage standing on tables knocking back tequila and hand out sombreros to huge groups of women on hen nights. Not fun. Also when I was eating there, a drunken girl out on west street shoved her arse up against the window and half the restaraunt fell of their chairs in shock.

Well, all places have their off days (or nights) and you can't blame the restaurant for the arse against the window thing :?

BTW, I didn't have tapas there... so maybe that has something to do with it. When I went, it was romantic and not full of hen nights. There was a "family birthday" in there though, but the waiters' singing was quite civilised really!

Spinroc's in Crookes in quite good for Tapas, although I've heard many mixed views about there too.

I wouldn't recommend the Himilayan Indian Resturant either just off West Street. This is supposed to be the oldest Indian Resturant in Sheffield so I thought I'd try it for this novelty value alone. This was a couple of years ago but I was still disappointed and it's stuck in my mind ever since. I think it's unreasonable to be kept waiting from starter to main meal for above 45 minutes.

I went to la gondala on carver street (just off division street) with my girlfriend last night. Its excellenct. the food and serice were great. Its quite small and has quite an intimate atmosphere, as well as a varied menu.

Its an Italian by the way, I think it might be family run, but the waiters are very friendly.

We went to Blu Water bar by the canal, near Ponds Forge roundabout.

Very nice - great food, good selection, not too pricey, nice staff, very nice interior and great view!

I reccommend this to anyone - esp in the day when you can sit outside in the sun, a bit of calm away from the busy town centre.

Originally posted by "katey_h23"

We went to Blu Water bar by the canal, near Ponds Forge roundabout.

Very nice - great food, good selection, not too pricey, nice staff, very nice interior and great view!

I reccommend this to anyone - esp in the day when you can sit outside in the sun, a bit of calm away from the busy town centre.

Interesting.

Tell me, what type of food is on the menu?

Archived