Suggestions for a good restaurant in Sheffield.

katey_h23

Originally posted by EdnaKrabappe

543 Eccy Road fantastic!

you can't book though so have to rely on there being a table.

And agree with Katya about the desserts:)

Actually you do have to book at 543 these days, as we found out to our cost!

Ranulphs in beauchief.

Fantastic little place, only seats about 20 though.

Food is brilliant, best meal i have eaten in sheffield. £18.95 for starter and main.

Chef even came out to ask if we enjoyed our meal and brought a comments book for us to fill in.

Try the chocolate pudding amazing!!!

If you like good food and great service you will not be dissapointed.

Hey Munky dude!

I'm taking a very lovely young lady to 543 Ecclesall Rd. tomorrow so I shall let you know how the evening goes, what the meal/service/atmos are like!

Give my regards to Chickin!Didn't realise it's your anniversary soon, I'll have to get a card for you guys I spose!

543!!!!

Stunningly simple, simply stunning cuisine! My date this evening was absolutely charming, it's now 6:30, I got home around 4 and I have been sat here smiling ever since!

The food was delicious, the gorgeous woman sat opposite me was the only thing more appetising than the menu but I digress...

We started with the bread and hand made crisps to share (£5) - I remembered reading about this elsewhere on this forum and I'm sure my description won't do this dish justice!

A soft baked ciabatta styled bread and some delicious hand made crisps served with 3 dips, each dip representing one of the three colours of the Italian flag: a tomato basil and mucho garlic pesto, an extremely garlicky mayonnaise and a cucumber onion and yes . . . you guessed it . . . garlic relish (which also had a pesto like flavour, perhaps owing to basil and olive oil).

For the first time ever in Sheffield I have eaten an appetiser which actually does what it says on the tin!

Although I may have described the dips as being very garlicky, and they were, somehow it was done in a very delicate way. In no way was the garlic overpowering, just very more-ish. Nor did the garlic mask or hide any other flavours, instead it provided a subtle yet stable backdrop for the palate, by which the other subtle flavours could be distinctly detected! I cannot recommend this option enough for sharing during a romantic meal.

Along with the starter we ordered a bottle of Tempranillo (£14, I think!) which had clearly been cellared properly and handled with much care. Good job too because this was, despite being a single grape wine, a very smooth and fruity drop, easy on the palate and well worth every penny. In fact the one bottle lasted us the whole meal but next time I think I'll take the equivalent of my whole budget for the evening, just for wine alone. Such a simple red would accompany any of the entrees in my opinion.

Onto the entrees, salmon was the choice for m'lady this evening and despite my not being able to eat fish, it certainly looked delicious. The vegetables were plentiful and in the absence of any complaint I believe they were as good as the rest of the food!

I had the quail on wilted leaves and beans with a honey glaze. In all honesty I believe this was likely the most "nouveau-cuisine" dish on the menu. For as I looked around in anticipation of our meal between the appetiser and the entree, the portions certainly seemed generous. However to see this tiny little quail perched on half a dozen green beans and a few gently roasted potatoes being served to all 6'2" of me was probably quite comical. Please don't misunderstand me, the game was delicious along with the accoutrements, and I'm sure piling the plate with vegetables under the bird would have been an aesthetic culinary faux-pas! The most absolutely cheesy line had to be rolled out and I meant it very genuinely when I passed my compliments to the chef! I believe the entrees were £12 each.

No dessert was necessary although we did indulge in aperitifs but by then my attention was entirely absorbed in conversation and I have no idea what they cost although for reference I had a well-matured cognac which finished the evening perfectly!

The atmosphere is upmarket yet relaxed, I was comfortable in smart jeans however my attention was almost entirely focused on my date so I didn't notice a dress code but the crowd seemed funky and cool without falling into any particular age group. Definitely beyond the average student so you can be fairly sure of a good crowd from what I could tell. The menu is simple yet elegant, comprising of many vegetarian and fish dishes. There was a steak and even a rack of lamb ribs for the very hugnry carnivore. The specials board was clearly written, also mostly fish but all looked absolutely enticing.

The service was slow in a comfortably relaxed way. Despite the night being busy, all the service staff were friendly and helpful without being intrusive, adding to the atmosphere of a personal and intimate meal.

This isn't a "budget" meal but worth every penny. Allow £80 for a meal for two, to include 3 courses, aperitif and a bottle of wine. It would be easy to spend twice this amount here in single evening for a long, slow romantic chat.

If you enjoy excellent food, service and drinks then this is a must. This restaurant is definitely in the "reasonable" price bracket, the reason being the dining experience offered here is like nowhere else I have found in Sheffield!!

Eat here, if only once in your life, it's the law!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Depends what you get the munchies for when you've had a sniff of the wine cork!?

I'd always recommend the Jumbo Chinese Restaurant in Sheffield - it's great value & very clean & the staff are very professional & polite.

The bar isn't overpriced and, more than all that!

The foods wonderfull! :clap:

Originally posted by jenbop

i think cubana just off west street has to be one of the best places to go, apparntly also lesley and roberto from big brother's favourite place, so maybe not the best place to go, but they have a great bar and a great atmosphere!

[bitch]

It's a cool place, but pretty small - does Lesley have to be airlifted in when she goes there?

[/bitch]

Archived