Suggestions for a good restaurant in Sheffield.

katey_h23

Originally posted by Emilychee

Robin Hood is ace!! Apart from all the lovely veg you get a couple of choices of meat aswell!!

Ummmmmm could just eat one now!

Robin Hood does indeed rule, especially seeing as it's in walking distance of my house.

• 3 weeks later...

a question for all you proper sheffielders

what are the best restaurants - where and how much

for a group of twenty somethings on a birthday - so not too far from town???

Spinroc's in Crookes was nice other than that not been to many places

ta

Hey there

Being a chef myself & considering it's a birthday for 20 somethings, i'd say the best place to go would be the Jumbo Chinese buffet at the end of Norfolk street in Arundel gate, across the road from the Crucible.

The food is realy good & everyone can help themselves to whatever the want!

Prices are 4.99 each from 12pm till 4, then increase to 5.99 i think till 7ish & then is 7.99.

The later you go the more pricey stuff is brought out e.g. king prawns, peking duck with all the pancakes etc!

Beware, you can realy stuff yourself, as it's so good!, especially after a fiew drinks, make sure you don't want to do much afterwards, or you have restraint!

Enjoy

Rom

I would have to disagree somewhat with the Jumbo statement. At the weekends the food is ok/average but during the week it is awful. We have been on 3 seperate occasions during the week and it has been heavily salty and oily - and this comes from someone that usually puts 5x RDA of salt on each meal!

A fantastic place to try if you like that sort of thing would be the East Ocean Cafe on Matilda Street (just round near Woolworths side doors). It has just been done up and not open very long but is absolutely fantastic! It does Thai, Cantonese, Chinese and Japanese and contrary to the name also does other dishes that don't include seafood e.g fillet steak, yum! You can also see right through to the kitchen and see stuff being prepared, totally fresh, not like the rewarmed stuff you sometimes get at Chinese "all you can eats"

This restaurant is easily one of the best we have been to and as a team we have worked our way through most of Sheffield. A friend of mine had the Special Bento Box Set which is Miso Soup, Udon Noodle, 3 sushi rolls, japanese salad, vegetable tempura and a main course of your choice. She had fried Japanese Pork and Ginger and it was divine apparently as was my main course. The box set starts at £8 and goes up to £11.50 dependant on your choice of main. Prices for mains are £4+ with the most expensive thing we saw being a whole sea bass at £18 but the specials are changed daily. The soup comes in a very large porcelain bowl with a serving spoon. My team mate got 7 bowls of soup out of it, not bad for £3.20.

They also pour your wine for you unless you ask otherwise and will organise your food at your table, for instance, I ordered quarter of a duck to start and they bring it to your table and shred it for you there so you can see it is fresh and off the bone and not from a freeze pack.

Very good value and an excellent selection of beer, wine and spirits, it has smoking and non smoking areas, quite seperated from each other, we didn't even realise it had a smoking area until we booked over the phone for our 2nd visit and was asked our preference. Also has highchairs for the little 'uns.

My dad has been a chef for 28 years and enjoyed East Ocean Cafe more than the other chinese venues in Sheffield.

Yeh, jumbo is kinda salty, but is good to go to when there's a big party of people.

Kirsty, have you been to the other one on Comercial Street & the Indian buffet on Williamson Street, next door to the Mad Greek!, was wondering what these were like!

Rom

Archived