Totley to Town pub crawl

CockneyMafia

Has anyone ever done this pub crawl? (basically taking in a variety of pubs from Totley, down Abbeydale Road South and Abbeydale Road/London Road until you hit town?)

Any suggestions of what are the best pubs to go in (and which ones to avoid)

We are doing it next Friday.

How are you going to get between pubs? Not walking? That area is one of the dryest patches of Sheffield, with huge gaps between hostelries. Perhaps someone's driving (a non-imbiber)? I used to live just off Abbeydale Road and it was a boring slog (on foot) to go anywhere for a drink. Is there any reason it has to be from Totley? The real ale trail along the Upper Don Valley is far superior. I've never heard the Totley to town route mentioned as a pub crawl.

How are you going to get between pubs? Not walking? That area is one of the dryest patches of Sheffield, with huge gaps between hostelries. Perhaps someone's driving (a non-imbiber)? I used to live just off Abbeydale Road and it was a boring slog (on foot) to go anywhere for a drink. Is there any reason it has to be from Totley? The real ale trail along the Upper Don Valley is far superior. I've never heard the Totley to town route mentioned as a pub crawl.

We will be utilising the number 97 buses....

Has anyone ever done this pub crawl? (basically taking in a variety of pubs from Totley, down Abbeydale Road South and Abbeydale Road/London Road until you hit town?)

Any suggestions of what are the best pubs to go in (and which ones to avoid)

We are doing it next Friday.

Start at the Cross Sycthes.

Totley is a good summer route...plenty of pubs if you know where to look. You do have to get a bus part way back tho...I always seem to end up in the Sheaf.

Belperite is the expert on this run...if you can catch him lurking :)

Start at the Cricket Inn on Penny Lane at Totley Bents (the rural village bit), then the Crown Inn. Walk up to Totley (the suburban bit) for the Cross Scythes and the Fleur-de-Lys. Walk down the main road until you come to the Co-op and turn right onto Mickley Lane where you will find the Shepley Spitfire. Back to the main road and onto the bus to Millhouses, where you will find the Robin Hood, the Millhouses and the Wagon and Horses. Back on the bus to the Broadfield, then a bus ride again to the Cremorne.

You will get a mix of establishments - Gastropub, Country Inn, Large pub restaurant, Estate pub, student pub and music pub. Some are better than others, but none of them are ones I would brand as avoid at all costs.

An alternative bus crawl that includes Totley is the route of the M17 bus - it's a minibus that runs every hour Mon-Sat daytime operated by SCT, from Dore to Jordanthorpe. Pubs that are either on the route or a short walk from the route are:

Devonshire Arms, Dore

Hare & Hounds, Dore

Cricket Inn, Totley Bents

Crown, Totley Bents

Cross Sycthes, Totley

Fleur de Lys, Totley

Shepley Spitfire, Totley Rise

Old Mother Redcap, Bradway

Castle Inn, Bradway

Bradway Hotel, Bradway

Moorview golf bar, Bradway

White Hart, Greenhill

White Swan, Greenhill

Start at the Cricket Inn on Penny Lane at Totley Bents (the rural village bit), then the Crown Inn. Walk up to Totley (the suburban bit) for the Cross Scythes and the Fleur-de-Lys. Walk down the main road until you come to the Co-op and turn right onto Mickley Lane where you will find the Shepley Spitfire. Back to the main road and onto the bus to Millhouses, where you will find the Robin Hood, the Millhouses and the Wagon and Horses. Back on the bus to the Broadfield, then a bus ride again to the Cremorne.

You will get a mix of establishments - Gastropub, Country Inn, Large pub restaurant, Estate pub, student pub and music pub. Some are better than others, but none of them are ones I would brand as avoid at all costs.

Excellent advice mate - will be taking this on board.

Archived