A weekend in Sheffield - ideas?!

Little_Bex

A friend is coming to visit me next weekend, ive only just moved here myself and dont know the city very well and im a bit short of ideas how to entertain him!

we both 23, like a drink, a good meal, and a bit of anything really!

anyone got any ideas? daytime and night time stuff!

cheers

Bex

My son (24) is from sheffield and lives in Texas. He just visited us for a few days and fetched his American girl friend (22) -it was her first time in the UK.

It depends how cultural / energetic you awant to be over the weekend but amongst otherthings they did were:

Day 1

Peace gardens, Millenium gallery, Wintergarden, Cathederal (she's a bit religeous) then Wetherspoons for a late lesurely light lunch....home for a snooze then a pub crawl down ecclesall rd /west st ending up in the Leadmill.

Day 2

Stayed in bed as had a late night the day before. Shopping in Meadwhell. Went to bed early to recover from shopping trip.

Day 3

Castleton, venturing down speedwell cavern where they were the only people to take the undrground boat trip so had a private tour, pub lunch in the villiage, Then drove around chasworth area brought far too much food from the farm shop there back to me for tea then pub quiz at the Banner cross on Ecclesall Rd

In terms of food and drink, it probably depends on what you like to eat & drink and also what sort of venue you prefer.

For drink are you looking for a really lively party bar, a fairly smart bar with a cool vibe, a cosy and relaxed country pub or a traditional local? Also are you looking for a city centre location or do you fancy a bit of a trip out somewhere?

Again, what kind of place do you want to eat and what sort of location?

Finally, this friend - do you want to impress him or just simply have a laugh?

Friday, i was probably going for something relaxed - maybe a nice old mans pub (ideally near the town centre)

Sat maybe a trip out in the daytime and smart bar then club in the evening.

As for impressing the friend - he is a self confessed loather of the north, i would like to try and prove him wrong!

Ok then....

Friday: Drinks at Fox & Duck at Broomhill

Saturday: Trip out - maybe a walk around Bakewell, Hathersage, Castleton?

Then maybe drinks in Leopold Sq, St Pauls (hotel) bar, Bar23, Trippets, Showroom, Common Rd (smart pool bar), Crystal

Then maybe on to Plug, Nylon, Leadmill, DQ

Just a few quick thoughts. Maybe others would like to add.

Hope all goes well.

For the 'nice old mans pub'.... in the city centre perhaps the Rutland Arms (Brown Street), Red Lion (Charles Street), Red Deer (Pitt Street) or Bath Hotel (Victoria Street) would do the trick.

Or perhaps one of the pubs in the Kelham Island real ale circuit such as the Harlequin (Nursery Street), Fat Cat (Alma Street) or the Kelham Island Tavern (Russell Street).

Nowhere near the city centre but also reccommended is the Cricket Inn at Totley Bents (10 minute walk downhill from Totley bus terminus, route 97) which is a nice country pub overlooking the village cricket/football pitch with an open fire, real ales from Thornbridge Brewery and nice food.

As for a day out the countryside (Hope Valley part of the Peak District is easily accessible by bus or train) would be nice if the weather is decent, if not you could have a wander round the Millenium Galleries in town then maybe jump on a tram to Meadowhall.

Might also be worth checking the listings in the Sheffield Telegraph and see if there are any events on whilst he is here.

For the evening bars such as Mecure St Pauls, Ha Ha, Ruskins, Showroom, Crystal, Old House, Muse and Wig & Pen would probably be good, but I tend to find nice/smart bars get boring after a bit, so why not throw in some that would be FUN too - depending on musical tastes there are places like the Dove and Rainbow, Reflex 80s bar, Bedroom and Dog & Partridge (I never thought I would put those four in the same sentence...!)

I’ve got friends coming up Saturday and what I’m doing is taking them for a meal at cubanas (good fun, lively and excellent tapas food) on trippet lane, then going to the last laugh comedy club at the city hall which is on every fri and sat. There’s a disco on afterwards and there’s a bar in there so u can always make a night of it. or, you can go out afterwards as it finishes about 11ish. Think we’re going to go to the leadmill once it’s over. Should be a good night. Then on the fri you can just do something relaxing – maybe the Devonshire cat on Devonshire Green or the Porter Brook at Hunters Bar are really nice and not too loud. Let me know what you choose to do 

Archived