Duke of Darnall and Charlie Peace

Hi Plaintalker, I should have checked Chas.Peace out first. The memory plays tricks but I heard the story (legend) from others also. You mention them living on Orchard Place,that's where I meant when I said 'off Leopold St.' but had forgotten the name ( the infants' welfare clinic was down Orchard Place, remember 'Ostermilk' and the orangejuice in bottles with a blue cap ?) The passage I was shown was at the top of Orchard Place, but as you say, it must have been embroidered legend. Mum probably wanted to scare me from going down the city on my 3 wheel bike as I once did !

David, I have a very good book, which I bought off Amazon, called " King of the Lags: the Story of Charles Peace". it's by David Ward.

If you wish, I am willing to lend it to you, it's a really interesting read.

I think you are correct in saying that the site of the Peace's home was around where the clinic was.

Many parents frightened their kids into obedience by threatening them "Charlie Peace'll have you!"

I had some relatives who lived on the manor and I remember when I was about 7 or 8 my nan telling me that one of the relatives used to let Charles Peace hide out in their house. Didn't really register as something interesting at the time so that's about all I know. the innocence of youth

I had some relatives who lived on the manor and I remember when I was about 7 or 8 my nan telling me that one of the relatives used to let Charles Peace hide out in their house. Didn't really register as something interesting at the time so that's about all I know. the innocence of youth

The relatives must have been really old, by then?

No they were not alive when my nan told me about them :)

I know what you mean, my great grandmother told me that her great aunt had seen the Duke of Wellington on his return from Waterloo. She was born in 1874 (same year as Churchill) so the maths work out.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a number of interesting documents relating to Charlie Peace at Sheffield Archives:

1. Police Ticket of Leave Book, c.1870s: Following the 1869 Habitual Criminals Act, criminals could be let out early on a ‘ticket of leave’ - a permit to convicts allowing them to leave prison under specific restrictions. It could be withdrawn for misconduct. The notorious Charlie Peace (1832 – 1879) wanted for burglary and murder in Sheffield is listed in the book on page 2 (Charlie Peace aged 35) and page 132 (George Parker, alias of Charlie Peace aged 45). He was arrested in 1878, sent from Pentonville Prison to Sheffield and stood trial for the murder of Arthur Dyson. He was executed in 1879. (Ref. SY295/C/7/14)

2. Letters written by Charlie Peace from his cell prior to execution (Refs. MD7297 and MD5021)

3. Photographs of him and posters advertising a reward for information leading to his arrest (Ref. SY295/7/7)

4. Last Will and Testament of Charles Peace, 1879 (Ref. X144/1/2)

...and so on...!

You can view these original documents in our searchroom at Sheffield Archives.

Cheryl, Sheffield Archives