Duke of Darnall and Charlie Peace

And a bit more,

The Burglaries at Blackheath-

At Sheffield Town Hall, yesterday,Hannah Peace, wife of Charles Peace,

now awaiting his trial for the burglaries at Blackheath and elswhere, was brought up, on remand,

charged with having recieved the stolen property obtained by Peace.

It had been ascertained that the prisoner visited her husband in London about the time when the burglaries were commited,

and returned to Sheffield with two boxes filled with their proceeds.

The goods were found hidden in her house at Darnall by Inspector Phillips, of the Criminal Investigation Department.

The Chief Constable of Sheffield, in applying for a further remand yesterday, stated that property derived from no less than

six burglaries had been identified, and that house-holders in the Greenwich district were daily owning the articles removed

from Sheffield by the police as part of the property obtained by Peace's burglaries.

The prisoner was remanded for a week, and in all probability will be tried in London.

Yesterday Inspector Phillips searched the houses of relatives of Peace who live in Brightside.

There he found a large assortment of property, including costly sealskin jackets, silk dresses,

silk jackets trimmed with fur and lace, slippers, silk stockings, and other valuable goods.

They were all taken possession of, as they are believed to be the proceeds of burglaries and robberies committed by Peace.

just been doing some digging about the bolsovers, as i believe im related to them

heres what ive found so far, bit messy and sketchy, sorry lol

john peace (burton on trent) - charlies father

charles peace -

(wife)hannah peace -

(daughter) mrs bolsover (jane anne (charlies daughter?)

(son in law) William Bolsover, of Hazel Road, Darnall.

elsie may bolsover (jane annes daughter?)

(charlies sister) - mary ann (mrs neil)

john bolsover??

every charles peace thing ive read all use the same source, they just say mrs bolsover rather than her actual name so i dunno if its jane ann which i believe it is? whos married to william?

and elsie may is their daughter?

anybody know anymore trail after elsie?

Edited by melthebell

just found this blog featuring charlie and the death of arthur dyson, includes a picture of the alleyway at banner cross

Yes, that article was written by a relative of mine..Rhys Whatmore.Arthur Dyson was a distant relative of ours.Rhys received contact from Charlie Peace's great grandaughter quite recently.

Sadly Rhys died a couple of months ago.

charlie was my great great great grandad i believe, bolsovers i know are part of my grandmas family

heres a scanned newspaprt clipping about him i have

I didn't read this first,as I've not been on here for a little while.

My God, your relation killed my relation...Think we'd both better get our coats !

• 7 months later...

Hello Whitehorses

Came on this forum by chance. I was in contact with Rhys Whatmore about a year ago. So sorry to hear he died-he kindly sent me lots of information about Arthur Dyson, and I sent him a copy of Charlie's death certificate.

Elsie May Bolsover was my Grandma. Her mother was Jane Anne Peace, Charlie Peace's daughter. I only found out about all this recently, but I have amassed quite a lot of stuff, and would be interested in speaking to anyone who may have information that I may not know about yet.

I suppose this has been done to death, but it's new to me, and I'm fascinated, particularly as no one in my family ever let it slip that I have such a notorious g g grandad! If ONLY they had talked about him!

Hi South'nsofty,

Thanks for posting.

When Rhys died he left all his papers to me, but unfortunately I haven't been able to collect them yet due to the distance involved, I'm sure he will have given you as much info as he'd got on Arthur Dyson.

Have you contacted Melthebell on here as you and he are almost certainly related?

It's all interesting stuff, though we maybe wouldn't have thought so if we lived in those times !:hihi:

Hello Whitehorses

Came on this forum by chance. I was in contact with Rhys Whatmore about a year ago. So sorry to hear he died-he kindly sent me lots of information about Arthur Dyson, and I sent him a copy of Charlie's death certificate.

Elsie May Bolsover was my Grandma. Her mother was Jane Anne Peace, Charlie Peace's daughter. I only found out about all this recently, but I have amassed quite a lot of stuff, and would be interested in speaking to anyone who may have information that I may not know about yet.

I suppose this has been done to death, but it's new to me, and I'm fascinated, particularly as no one in my family ever let it slip that I have such a notorious g g grandad! If ONLY they had talked about him!

yeah charles was my great great great? grandad too.......im related to the bolsovers

id be interested in seeing some of this stuff youve amassed if at all possible??