Duke of Darnall and Charlie Peace

1969 isn't all that long ago really- I wish I could talk to them all now. I used to get bored to tears when my Grandma used to talk about her family. When I started researching, I found myself saying "I remember her saying that!"

Oh, and he married Emily not Edna!

1969 isn't all that long ago really- I wish I could talk to them all now. I used to get bored to tears when my Grandma used to talk about her family. When I started researching, I found myself saying "I remember her saying that!"

Oh, and he married Emily not Edna!

i know how long ago it was, the whole of my life :D

if he died the year i was born it shows why i only ever remember a great grandma bolsover and not a great grandad, on the other hand i still had a great grandma and grandad on my mums side well into my life

• 1 year later...
Yes, that article was written by a relative of mine..Rhys Whatmore.Arthur Dyson was a distant relative of ours.Rhys received contact from Charlie Peace's great grandaughter quite recently.

Sadly Rhys died a couple of months ago.

Hi,

That explains why his amazing website no longer exists

Does anyone know the EXACT whereabouts of Arthur Dysons grave and if he has any descendants please?

Mike

Can't help with Arther Dyson, but I would like to know the whereabouts of Charlie's grave. I suspect that it's in a lime pit under a new wing of Leeds goal! (pity). Does anyone know where Jane Peace / Bolsover, his daughter is buried please? Died 1949. I've trawled through the register online for Sheffield, no luck:sad:

Can't help with Arther Dyson' date=' but I would like to know the whereabouts of Charlie's grave. I suspect that it's in a lime pit under a new wing of Leeds goal! (pity). Does anyone know where Jane Peace / Bolsover, his daughter is buried please? Died 1949. I've trawled through the register online for Sheffield, no luck:sad:[/quote']

you may be right. I think that the executed were not released to the family for burial, from at least the time of Charlie Peace. I believe their remains were buried within the precincts of the prison that executed them.

• 4 years later...

Arthur Dyson's grave is up at Ecclesall Churchyard. I saw it when I was up there. ☺

---------- Post added 21-12-2016 at 21:45 ----------

To add to this someone I work with is related to Charlie too. Need to get the details so I can work out via which child of Jane's ☺

Thats incredible I spent hours looking and asking for the church records with no success.

I am trying to concentrate on the victim of which little attention has been paid (doing a talk in March 17th at Darnall Library)

I live at Rivelin

Thanks for reply

mike

PS Arthur was buried at Tinsley Church where there is a gravestone

Edited by wharnie
more info