What's happening with Hanrahans?

Unisol

My family went to the Exchange Bar and Grill quite regularly at one point and were always surprised as to why it was so quiet. It then made a brave decision to ban smoking throughout (well before the national ban) and I'd guess this didn't quite have the effect they wanted.

Then on one visit we had a really disappointing meal. Tried it once more and was not inpressed, so gave up. There was no-one else in the place, despite attempts to cater for the lunch-time trade by way of buffet bar. The last time I think I went in was on a Sunday in January and the place smelled foul (intoxicating fumes) and the Guinness resembled thin ink.

The last hurrah seems to have been trying to host a regular karaoke. That's when it was obvious they were waving the white flag. News, therefore, that the place is boarded up comes as no surprise. They messed around with what was a familiar name - Hanrahan's - and it never truly recovered IMO.

It was, along with Henry's on Cambridge Street, Gangsters in Barker's Pool and Woodstock Diner on Ecclesall Road South the first place to offer something that little bit extra by way of eating out. Hanrahan's got it spot on and it lasted for a long time. Sadly, even during summer, hardly anyone goes there like they did. I spent many a Sunday afternoon sat on the terrace in 1999.

The fact that, no matter what name they changed it to, I still refer to it as Hanrahan's says it all. I hope it reopens as it was and not what it became.

Archived