The 1970s any ideas?

muffingal

My kids laugh at me because I am always comparing the price of things today to things growing up in the 70's.

Maybe she could write up a list of things and then try and find out what they cost back then, I always use 2p

The bus was 2 pence. My mum made me carry 2p for the phone. no cell phones. The 2 penny mix at the sweet shop.

Maybe other people remember the cost of things too?

StJohn

A friend of mine was a one-man bus driver in Sheffield when the bus fares increased suddenly and dramatically. For 2p you could travel for miles before the fares rose and then it all changed causing confusion, partcularly amongst older people.

The day after a steep fare increase an old lady got on my friend's bus in the High Street:

"Will 2p get me to the Hallamshire Hospital?" she enquired timidly

"Only if you swallow it love" was the driver's reply

Sheffield in the 70s, cheap public transport and dry humour - didn't you just love it?

:)

Thankyou so much for all your help with Mollys project it is coming along well. Molly suffers from dyslexia and mild aspergers syndrome so your help is really useful as she finds doing searches (the spelling bit) a hard task. She would like me say thank you to you all and please keep em coming because not only is it good for her project its making a pretty good thread too. Thanks again Paulaxx

Oxford bags (trousers) loon pants (very wide flares) cuban heeled shoes, platform shoes & boots, monkey boots, Doc martens, Brogues, tie dyed T shirts, crombie coats ,Harrington jackets, Grandad shirts, Levis staypressed trousers, kipper ties, tank tops, R.A.F great coats, and anything ex military, Ben Sherman shirts, Parkas, and im sure i`ll think of some more stuff. AH just remembered this

clicky

• 5 weeks later...

Archived