What is a mardy bum?

Hey,

I'm from the south so sorry if this question is a little stupid:

What is a mardy bum?

What does it mean and where did it come from?

Thanks

lol, im from the south too,although u would not be able to tell now. I picked up the accent here quiet quick. I moved here when i was 7 and am 24 now. My mum still sounds as if she from south and tries to talk northern which is funny. Mum does not understand half the words i use either. And says i don't talk properly.

.....there's another Yorkshire word.....

CHUFF!

Will I get banned for saying that and what exactly does it mean?.....

now, chuff is supposedly a bit "beyond the pale"

(Talk note*don't get mardy with me for saying this! :hihi:)

But, in an episode of Steptoe and Son, I well remember it being used by the father (albert) who was complaining about being thirsty, and he said "I'm as dry as a sheep's chuff!"

I'll leave you to surmise what he was referring to.

:blush:

now, chuff is supposedly a bit "beyond the pale"

(Talk note*don't get mardy with me for saying this! :hihi:)

But, in an episode of Steptoe and Son, I well remember it being used by the father (albert) who was complaining about being thirsty, and he said "I'm as dry as a sheep's chuff!"

I'll leave you to surmise what he was referring to.

:blush:

:o Oh dear!

Ok, sorry I mentioned it - it won't happen again - I didn't know what it meant, that's why I asked. I've heard young kids using the word, so kind of presumed it couldn't have been such a bad one, but there you go! :|

Ok, sorry I mentioned it - it won't happen again - I didn't know what it meant, that's why I asked. I've heard young kids using the word, so kind of presumed it couldn't have been such a bad one, but there you go! :|

Cheer up Mardy bum, there's plenty to feel chuffed about:)

I suppose it's a bit everyday in yorkshire, so folk wouldn't raise an eyebrow. it's considered faily inocuous.

It's a bit like the use of the words *Bar-steward* (*cough* - sorry need to get round the swear filter) and *Bugg er*. In Yorkshire, it's almost a term of endearment, ie "Eeh, yer daft *bugg er*" but call someone a *bar steward* and you'd be loking at getting "lamped".

It's the opposite in, say, London, where the terms are reversed, *bar steward* is used as the term of endearment, and if it's used, *Bugg er* is the one that'd get you lamped.