Raft races on the Canal.

Does anybody remember the raft races down the canal? I remember being part of the Laycocks raft team. The races were in aid of the Muscular Dystrophy Group, and were organised by Albert T Smith.

I got the idea of a Raft Race on the Sheffield Canal after taking part in a canoe race where I came next to last.

The aim of the sponsored event was initially to raise £100.00 for the Christmas Party for the youngsters who suffered with Muscular Dystrophy who were attached to the Hallam Branch of which I was the Branches Chairman.

The first event raised £1400.00 and the presentation evening was held at (To Come????) Club on Queens Road. I would like to hear any comments from anyone who either took part or visited it as a spectator.

Over the Ten years that I organised the event the sponsered vital medical research funding into Muscular Dystrophy. Whilst it is early days at the moment, the fruits of this research are now begining to unfold.

So to all those who took part during the Ten years that I organised the event and all the thousands who paid sponsor money to the team members. - Thank you.

Does anybody remember the raft races down the canal? I remember being part of the Laycocks raft team. The races were in aid of the Muscular Dystrophy Group, and were organised by Albert T Smith.

I can remember sat there fishing when a load of rafts came down and 1 had a pair of tits on the front and they squirted water out of the nipples and soaked me:o

Did Rabone Chestermans ever take part in this, I have a vague memory of racing a load of nutters down the canal in the late eighties on a makeshift raft that almost sunk, we did finish though despite the numerous flour bombs, great fun.

:)

Did Rabone Chestermans ever take part in this, I have a vague memory of racing a load of nutters down the canal in the late eighties on a makeshift raft that almost sunk, we did finish though despite the numerous flour bombs, great fun.

:)

Rabone Chesterman took part. From memory they had a good raft which carried some lovely looking young women at the start line.

I've some video film of most of the Eleven Races that I intend to get transferd to DVD Roms to preserve.

But I won't be organising another,' Up to Twelve person in a team, but only four people rowing at any time in relay, on own made rafts that are Sponsored, to race down the Sheffield Canal starting a Broughton Lane to the Canal Basin on May Day Bank Holiday Sunday '. Because, though I enjoyed organising it. It did take over a good part of my life for about four months every year.