Who was Robert Wilson JP

michael.arch

Whilst pulling up the 1881 Ecclesall Census for my ancestors who ran the "Prince of Wales Inn" at the time I was curious to see the family of Wilson's who were on the same page & living at the "Banner Cross Hall".

The Head of the houshold was listed as a Robert Wilson JP aged 52 from Scotland. His occupation was "Iron & Steel Master employing 4,861 men" Does anyone know which Firm he was the Master of? as I have lived in Sheffield all my life & have never heard of Robert Wilson.

It must have been a very large firm to employ so many workmen.

The family appear to have lived in style at the Hall as the list of employees is very large & includes a teacher from Switzerland.

On the LDS disks for the 1881 census he is George not Robert.

from the Sheffield Local Register (a digest of local news stories):

1 Dec 1885

Death of Mr. George Wilson, J.P., aged 57.

14 Dec 1885

Mr Alexander Wilson announced as responsible manager of Charles Cammell & Co., Limited, vice Mr. George Wilson, deceased.

31 Mar 1886

Shareholders in Cammell & Co vote £500 for a suitable memorial to the late Mr. George Wilson.

12 Mar 1887

"George Wilson" memorial pulpit inaugurated in Parish Church.

There is also a mention of the opening of a "George Wilson Institute" on Atterclife Road in 1888.

He was Master Cutler in 1874/5.

Hugh

From Memorials of Sheffield by Canon Odom (1922)

Sheffield Cathedral...

The beatiful pulpit, standing on a marble plinth, is worthy of note. In its richly carved niches are figures of our Lord, the four Evangelists, and Moses bearing the Tables of the Law. On the pillars of the stairs are figures of S. Peter and S. Paul. A brass in the pulpit bears the inscription: "To the glory of God and in loving memory of George Wilson of Banner Cross, Chairman of the Cyclops Works, Sheffield, who died Dec 1 1885, this Pulpit is erected by his sorrowing wife, March 12, 1887."

Ecclesall All Saints...

Next to the west door is a beautiful angel-font of marble, with the inscription: "To the glory of God this font is dedicated by Clara Wilson, in loving memory of her husband, George Wilson, of Banner Cross, who died 1st Dec., 1885, aged 56 years."

Emmanuel Church, Attercliffe Road...

The Parochial Rooms, known as "The George Wilson Institute", were built in 1888 as a memorial to Mr. George Wilson, of Banner Cross, one of the Trustees of the Church, by whose widow the memorial stone was laid. They cost £2,000, of which £500 was given by C. Cammell & Co., Ltd., of which Mr. Wilson was managing director.

-

He was buried in Ecclesall Churchyard. It would be interesting to know if there is a surviving memorial.

Hugh

The different branches of the Wilson family were,well known in the history of Sheffield.

One time owners of Middlewood Hall, Opened the first coffee house in Sheffield, Shareholders in the financing and planning of the South Yorkshire Canal, family stretching back to Saxon times, Held leading positions in Sheffield, Owned the famous Snuff mill at Ecclesall.

There is a lot more but my memory fails me but a very interesting family.

Happy Days!

I did realise my mistake in the name & confirm that it should have read "George Wilson".

I have just pulled up a photo of the said George Wilson on the "Picture Sheffield.com" library service. He was a very striking looking gentleman.

Wilson Road was according to the book "Street names of Sheffield" Quoted ... was named after the Wilson family of Sharrow who owned extensive land in the area in the nineteenth centuary,including land on which the Botanical Gardens were built.

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my curiosity on this family.

Archived