Indexed Maps of Old Sheffield Streets

:help: I've been trying to find my grandma's 1891 census address, Kenninghall St., Brightside, but it no longer exists. A 1905 Ordnance Survey map of the area (Carlisle St. East, Carwood Rd., Lyons St.) only shows the area 'taken over' by the expansion of the Atlas Iron & Steel Works.

Does anyone know where I can get Victorian maps that index and grid-reference the streets, like the modern 'A to Z's?

I've been told about a "Lamb's 'A Pub On Every Corner'" but can't find it - any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation.

Joe

Hi.

Douglas Lamb's book "A Pub on every corner" is out of print, but they have a copy in the archives, on the Sheffield FHS shelves.

Your best place for old maps is Sheffield Local Studies Library on Surrey Street...they have numerous old maps.

Also see Tony's reply at http://sheff-indexers.thewholeshebang.org/ForumIndex.html

Regards

Tuppie

I just looked on an 1890s Kelly's Directory map. It seems that Kenninghall Street ran parallel with Carlisle Street East, more-or-less where "Atlas Way" is now - that is, between Carwood Lane (now Carwood Road) and Garter Street. Here is a scan taken from the map:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Kenninghall.jpg

You're most welcome, joegraybsc! And welcome to Photobucket - it's a useful image-hosting site (they will send you emails offering to print photos etc.) I bought the old map at an ephemera fair at Myers Grove School about 20 years ago - I don't know the exact date but it must be 1890s. I don't have any connection with Kenninghall Street but I have a motley collection of books, maps etc. about old Sheffield. Regards, hillsboro (alias twigmore - it's a beauty spot near where I now live!)

• 3 months later...
Can anyone tell me where I can get hold of a map showing Ranskill Road, at Tinsley Park?

Is was underneath the airport or similar place.

Thanks, chris

Couldn't find a Ranskill road in my old A-Z. There is a Ranskill crescent near Tinsley Park, and it can be seen on Google maps.

It's just where Tinsley Park road joins Shepcote lane. It doesn't appear on the 1905 OS maps and is an industrial estate now, looking at the Google satellite view.

Greybeard, thanks for looking.

I was born in Ranskill Road in 1951 and lived there for 18 months, but my Grandparents and aunts lived there for longer. I have no idea what year the houses where demolished.

From What I remember it was just the road and Peacock Row going off it near the bottom.

I think there was a pit at the top of the road as well.

I would just like to see where it was in relation to the Industrial Estate.