Indexed Maps of Old Sheffield Streets

Greybeard, thanks for looking.

I was born in Ranskill Road in 1951 and lived there for 18 months, but my Grandparents and aunts lived there for longer. I have no idea what year the houses where demolished.

From What I remember it was just the road and Peacock Row going off it near the bottom.

I think there was a pit at the top of the road as well.

I would just like to see where it was in relation to the Industrial Estate.

DSCN5157.jpg

From a 1903 map of Attercliffe. The black cross is on Ranskill Rd,

---------------------------------------------------------------

DSCN5158.jpg

Ranskill Rd is near the bottom RH corner at its junction with Shepcote Lane. The black cross shows where Meadowhall Retail Park is now.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I used to deliver bread on Ranskill Rd in 1958, from what I remember, it was just one long street out in the middle of nowhere & the Gypsies used to camp around that area, I think it was somewhere near where English Steel built there new plant at the time, just up from Shepcote Lane rolling mills.

The motorway probably goes through what was that area these days ?

• 1 year later...
Greybeard, thanks for looking.

I was born in Ranskill Road in 1951 and lived there for 18 months, but my Grandparents and aunts lived there for longer. I have no idea what year the houses where demolished.

From What I remember it was just the road and Peacock Row going off it near the bottom.

I think there was a pit at the top of the road as well.

I would just like to see where it was in relation to the Industrial Estate.

hi chris what was your families names i was born in Ranskill rd in the early forties

hi Chris

if you went up shepcote lane you would find tuffnells on your right bang opposite was the lane that to Ranskill rd that went past Peacock row and the club at the side of tuffnells is a lane the leads to Greenland rd the was called Lowend 5 or 6 house there

If you got to the traffic light and head for the airport on the left is the steel firm where it finishes is roughly Ranskill rd

I used to deliver bread on Ranskill Rd in 1958, from what I remember, it was just one long street out in the middle of nowhere & the Gypsies used to camp around that area, I think it was somewhere near where English Steel built there new plant at the time, just up from Shepcote Lane rolling mills.

The motorway probably goes through what was that area these days ?

English Steel had a couple of football pitches on there too,played many a time for them in the 50s.

• 3 years later...

If anyone is still active with this theme, thanks for all the replies.

rsol - my parents name was Nicholson, but there was also Batey - my aunt; and my other aunts on peacock row were Scarcliffe.

I seem to think we lived at 94

Robbiet - if family legend is to be believed, my cousin went out with Len Badger for while when they were both a lot lot younger

cheers.

Edited by chrisS 32
spelling mistake

• 10 years later...

Hi, Can anyone kindly supply the web address that provided old Sheffield street names noted on certain census records (1871 and I believe 1891?).

I had previously saved the site on my favourites list but lost it due to a computer bug.

I always thought it was shown on the Government Archives site but I can't locate it anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers