George IV pub on Infirmary Road

Andy C

Well I drove past this evening and it was definitely open so Andy C wasn't having a Bobby Ewing epsiode after all. :D

It has a large banner up proclaiming real ale at 99p a pint. There was also a chalk board outside advertising a quiz night on Wednesday.

I will be investigating further very soon. :nod:

Some guy was giving out flyers at Hillsborough Tram Stop the other day.....yes pints from 99p.

It is also a Pie and Peas pub! (Don't ask me I am a suvvner :hihi:). 10 different varieties at £2.95 for pie, peas and chips.

When I find the flyer....I will post any more information if there is more than what I have remembered :D

Well, as I was on my way to the Hillsborough to meet friends for a meal last night, I decided to drop in to the George IV to investigate if the reports were true, and suffice to say I was pleasantly surprised. So much so that I had a very pleasant chat with the landlord, mentioned the forum and promised to put something on here about it. So here goes......

Anyway, they had 5 real ales on; last night they had 4 from Wentworth and a guest. Beers are £1.50 a pint apart from Wentworth Imperial, which is an amazing 99p a pint! Not only that but it was in excellent condition. But don't take my word for it; one of the guys from Wentworth brewery who brews the stuff was in there enjoying a pint as well!

The 99p a pint deal is not a short term one, and is guaranteed for at least a year. All other beers should be constantly changing; the landlord is hoping to have several beers on from the excellent Northumberland Brewery on in the next few weeks for example.

They do food as well; as Julado said it's "10 different varieties at £2.95 for pie, peas and chips."

I also had a peek at the upstairs function room which is nearly ready; they don't want to just appeal to the real ale lovers so they're hoping to have bands, karaoke, "pop idol" competitions, quiz nights, all sorts of stuff.

Although this may sound like an advert, I have no personal connection with the place, but anyone who's trying to reactivate a much loved pub and bring something new to a previously rundown venue deserves our support. It also fills the gap between the Hillsborough and the Wellington on the "Valley Of Beer" pub crawl.

Perhaps a forum meet there in the new year? ;)

Had a couple of very acceptable (and cheap) pints in there on Friday night, and we were given a friendly welcome. :)

The place is much brighter, fresher and felt bigger. There is a bit of work left to be done but the upstairs room was open and the landlady was trying to get the punters to go up there for an 'X Factor' karaoke style thing, which nobody seemed to be bothering with. As more people find out about the place though such nights may start to become popular.

The pie menu looked very acceptable and the selction of beers was reasonable. It looked like we had missed a 'Happy Hour' where the 99p beer was just 50p! :o The Wentworth Pecaock wasn't bad at all though at £1.50.

Unusually they had two Sam Smiths Beers on, and we also noticed a Sam Smith's clock on the wall. Clearly not being a usual Sam Smith's boozer we did query it with the landlady and were cagily advised that Sam Smith's had an involvement in the place. Interesting indeed.

Hope they do OK, will definitely be going back.

Unusually they had two Sam Smiths Beers on, and we also noticed a Sam Smith's clock on the wall. Clearly not being a usual Sam Smith's boozer we did query it with the landlady and were cagily advised that Sam Smith's had an involvement in the place. Interesting indeed.

Hope they do OK, will definitely be going back.

Which was the other Sam Smith's brew on? It's a long time since I bought a Good Beer Guide, but I still thought there was only one Sammy's real ale following the demise of Museum Ale nearly 20 years ago.

Have good old Sammy's started more brews :love:?

Me and the missus went on Thursday evening about 8.30pm (Dec 20th).

It was absolutely horrible. Went mainly to sample the real ale - only there wasn't any, the gas wasn't working properly or something. Had the funny sounding Sam Smiths lager which is usually quite nice (this was horrible) my mrs had a coke which tasted like roller-cola.

The upholstery had been 're-done' by sticking another cushion on top of the existing one, and some of the clientele were like something out of Phoenix Nights. One guy spent half an hour farting very loudly, some guy insisted that the ambience required song after song of Meatloaf on the jukebox while one guy wandered in off the street looking like he was going to have pee in the old dj box. Ten minutes later (hopefully via the toilet) he left, but did wanting to leave through the fireplace,

I know it's early doors (bit like the programme actually) but jeez....

Archived