Who remembers the club groups

craig12

I know this thread has been going for some time but how about some of these from an "OUR CLUBS" booklet dated 22nd September 1976 :- Gemini, Modesty Blaize, Mainstream (with Johnny Kalendar), Robert King all stars, Fresh Ground, Turnstyles, Unity Blend, Wolf J Flywheel, Staggerlees, Duvals, Dave Gibson Trio, Soft Persuasion.

Anyone have memories of any of the above?

Thats an interesting selection from the "Our Clubs" monthly journal.

Johnny Kalendar fronted "Mainstream" for many years. He then joined "Seventh Heaven" which was the original "Shimmer" band after Brian Jones left to go solo and the band existed around 2 years on the South Yorkshire clubland circuit. Johnny is now a vocalist and Comedian in Benidorm where he has lived for many years.

"Turnstyle" was fronted by female vocalist Anita Allan and had a lot of success following a win on a TV talent show.

Other acts of that era were "Drifting Harmony" who were an outstanding very tight 5 part harmony act

"New Jersey Turnpike" were the Kings of clubland playing complex renditions such as Mc arthur park and John Miles Music.

"Beba" were a top five piece band who won the clubland awards at Batley Variety Club in 1976 and included the brilliant Guitarist Phil Brody who is still out there today playing clubs with his own band.

The "Shimmer" band fronted by Brian Jones won Batley Variety Clubland awards in 1975 and was the only band in the region to have a brass section.

"Bonner-Colleeno" was also on the club circuit around this time. He was a solo act dressed impecably in a Canary Yellow suit ...briliant vocalist.

"Frankie Fungas & Fred" were a comedy trio who performed in and around Sheffield and were also present at the Batley Variety Clubland awards in 1975.

The "Three Disco's" were a highly acclaimed act who always packed the clubs to capacity which wasnt bad considering they neither sang por played an instrument. They were a Myme act but it was pure brilliance at the show they perfected.

"Pickwick Papers" were another gret band of the time. A 3 piece harmopny act who were probably the first tribute bands of the time with superb renditions from the Four Seasons.

"Purple Union" were based in Birdwell with lead guitarist Daryl and Terry on drums.

"Keith Alome" was a clubland vocalist who used to sing without a microphone and you could hear a pimdrop, the audiance respected his outstanding ability by affording him total silence during his perfromances.

"Barry Fearn and the Boston Highway" were another act who regular worked the clubs in South Yorkshire.including the landmark clubs of Dial House, St Philips, Pitsmore. Lane top club, Chapeltown WMC, Kimberworth, Rotherham Trades, Herringthorpe and many others too many to list.

The Vagabonds(formerly with Jimmy James) /Big Business

Chris Garside the brilliant lead guitar with Jimmy James and the Vagabonds watched himself on Top of the Pops in my house at Walkley we had a colour telly , Told me he had been ripped of with the original band so they set up on there own as just the Vagabonds.

• 5 months later...

anybody remember a group / comedy group , that had a midget called mick or mickey i THINK the group was called WILD OATS but a could be wrong, i remeber mick the midget doing a stint with a nappy on also if i rember right he played the drums , i followed them reckon about 1973 to 75. Can anybody confirm my thoughts they definatley played sheffield lanetop and barnsley

Archived