Jumping a long distance on a train question...

Reading this thread has given me insight into the dinner-table conversation at the Royal Society of Mechanical Engineers annual convention.

My other half goes to that dinner... I'm not an ME, I just play one at parties.

Re: hitting the brake. Presumably because if it's a ramp you will start rolling backwards, and if it's flat any left over momentum will keep you moving forwards.

Were you incredibly skillful or lucky it should be possible to roll on at the exact speed which will cause you to roll to a halt. But hitting the brake would just be common sense really.

Edit - just read Tony's link and feel that my physics A-level has all been worthwhile.

Edit (after reading the post below): I haven't got this velocity/momentum thing at all. Have I?

I like sciences, and I was still bored almost to death in my science classes at school. It's never a surprise to find that other people have, also, been taught so abysmally that they learnt almost nothing from those lessons. It probably isn't your fault. :D

I like sciences, and I was still bored almost to death in my science classes at school.

I like to think that I accept scientific thinking/logic before most other things.

I cruised through Biology, mastered all the Physics my laziness would allow, but never got to grips with the massive amount of learning that Chemistry required.

(still passed, though)

So! If we open windows at both ends of all carriages, the jump distance will change. Eh?

I like sciences, and I was still bored almost to death in my science classes at school. It's never a surprise to find that other people have, also, been taught so abysmally that they learnt almost nothing from those lessons. It probably isn't your fault. :D

I loved Science at school. Physics and Maths were the only two subjects I did well in. (sneaked a C in Chemistry aswell).

Funny you should say that people have learnt nothing from being taught abysmally in certain subjects. My take on that has changed with time, to 'the subjects I did abysmally in, I hated and had no interest in', rather than the teaching being poor.

Still... glad I started this thread.

The post that mentioned the plane discussion in another site, seems a no brainer to me. My idea had more possibilities....:)

So! If we open windows at both ends of all carriages, the jump distance will change. Eh?

:hihi::hihi:

I said the very same to mate today.

Archived