Do you need a passport to visit Southern Ireland (Eire)??

Ryanair

• A valid passport (passport for travel outside the EEA must have six months validity beyond the date of entry).
  • A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. Only the following countries from the EEA issue National Identity Cards which are acceptable for carriage: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden (for travel within the Schengen area only),or Switzerland.
  • A valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID for travel on domestic flights within the UK and domestic flights within the Republic of Ireland.
  • For travel on domestic flights within Italy only, a valid driving licence with photo issued by the applicable Italian authorities is acceptable photo-id.
  • For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID. Passengers who are citizens of other countries travelling on these routes must present a valid passport (with visa if applicable) or a National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country.
  • In accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, a valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document issued by a Government in place of a valid passport is acceptable.

Thanks all, that's saved us coffinup £67 each which isn't needed, just seen another flight we could get for only £11.00 return now!

BTW Anyone ecer been to Dublin? If so what did you think to it?

All you've got to remember is your trainers cause last time my parents went, they wouldn't reserve seats and as soon as the gate opened it was 'every man for himself'. Though a couple of them were disappointed when my parents finally got on board after slowly ambling over the tarmac, and needed the roomier disabled seats, mua-ha-ha ;)

All you've got to remember is your trainers cause last time my parents went, they wouldn't reserve seats and as soon as the gate opened it was 'every man for himself'. Though a couple of them were disappointed when my parents finally got on board after slowly ambling over the tarmac, and needed the roomier disabled seats, mua-ha-ha ;)

Sounds remarkably like Ryanair - get what you pay for!

Schengen agreement or something? I know if you're travelling within Europe you don't need a passport to get between EU countries, but seems the UK is only country to not sign up to this! Chances are they'd let you into Ireland, but you wouldn't be able to get back in (knowing this place!!)!

Was due to go to Dublin in July ,could not find my passport as this is the only id i have, phoned Ryanair was told no valid id eg passport no fly.Was desperate to go [football match] so phoned irish ferrys up they told me no id required just bring booking form,no problems getting there and back.Got no refund though off Ryanair its in there terms and conditions .

Thanks all, that's saved us coffinup £67 each which isn't needed, just seen another flight we could get for only £11.00 return now!

BTW Anyone ecer been to Dublin? If so what did you think to it?

Personally I think Dublin is fantastic, but it depends what you want out of it.It's very busy, can be scruffy, but is full of character, the people are great, as are the pubs, just be careful which ones you go in.

Schengen agreement or something? I know if you're travelling within Europe you don't need a passport to get between EU countries, but seems the UK is only country to not sign up to this! Chances are they'd let you into Ireland, but you wouldn't be able to get back in (knowing this place!!)!

Not quite. The UK does not recognise the Schengen agreement, and neither does Eire. The travel identity requirements between the UK and Eire are as described in earlier posts (specified photo ID) and the Schengen agreement bears no relevance given neither country has adopted it.

Archived