Do you need a passport to visit Southern Ireland (Eire)??

So if you don't need a passport to travel there and back, what's to stop someone from a far flung Asian or African country for example, getting to Ireland and then simply getting on the ferry across to England? Is this a simple way for immigrants to come into the country?

But presumably whatever method they used to get into Ireland they could use to get into the UK?

Things may have changed recently but certainly when I left less than five years ago there were no effective border controls between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, so people could also travel (without a passport) to Northern Ireland and then overland to the Republic and vice versa. (This doens't help with the holiday question just indicates that anyone determined to get from UK to RoI or vice versa without a passport has the via NI route).

They might prefer simply to "dissapear" into Ireland given that the standard of living is now higher there than in England. And wouldn't it be simpler to just get a tourist visa into England if the person's ultimate plan is to try to remain in England without the proper paperwork??

Why, we're being overrun by illegal immigrants so it stands to reason that, at some point in the future, us white Anglo-Saxon's will feel like strangers in our own country and will feel compelled to leave.

(Irony - please, do not see this as a right-wing rant; it's just a feeble attempt at irony).

:D

Many a true word spoken in jest, jeremy:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,363750,00.html

e're thinking of getting a cheap flight to Dublin as it's a place we've always wanted to visit and just seen a flight from Manchester for only £20!! Just done a quick search on net but can't find anything conclusive but it does have it's government so do you need a passport?

You don't need a passport to enter the Republic if travelling from the UK, and never have, but you'll need it, or photo evidence for the flight. Go by ferry; no problems that way.

• 2 years later...
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but rather that than start a new one and be pointed to this one. :hihi:

Can i currently fly from England to SI without a passport or not, or would the ferry be easier as all i have is my DL in the way of photo ID.

Not sure how it stands, but I would have thought if a passport is still needed for air travel, it would also be needed for the ferry.

Archived