Do you need a passport to visit Southern Ireland (Eire)??

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but rather that than start a new one and be pointed to this one. :hihi:

Can i currently fly from England to SI without a passport or not, or would the ferry be easier as all i have is my DL in the way of photo ID.

No, you don't, so long as you are a UK national. You do need to have proof of who you are to get on the plane for the boarding pass for the flight, however, just as you may do to fly from Gatwick to Inverness.

From the Irish Ferries website FAQ:

"Irish Ferries recommend all passengers bring a passport with them. Irish and British citizens do not strictly require a passport to travel between the two countries - some form of identification is however required.

Photo ID, Bank Cards or bills for house utilities addressed to you are all acceptable and useful means of identification. "

At least one airline that I know of now insists on passengers having a passport, even for internal UK flights - Frankie Dettori was denied boarding from Norwich to Glasgow, a few weeks back, because he did not have his passport. Check with your travel operator for their own rules, but legally you can get by without one.

*edit* This applies only on the assumption that you're a UK Citizen, or an Eire citizen. If you are Australian, and going from England to Eire, you will need a passport; only the Brits and Irish are exempt.

Not sure how it stands, but I would have thought if a passport is still needed for air travel, it would also be needed for the ferry.

Nope. You can drive to and fore Norn Iron and the Republic with no documents to speak of, and you can travel from Stranraer to Larne every hour or so as well, without a passport on a ferry.

Well, it is the same sovereign country, isn't it?

I'm not sure what you mean by it. Are you claiming that Eire and Northern Ireland are the same sovereign country? If so, you're going to spark an extremely heated debate that probably doesn't belong on this thread.

Seeing as you know full well that I'm an Irish citizen, I don't really need to answer that, do I ;)

Edited to add: especially as Stranraer and Larne are part of the same sovereign nation.

Schengen agreement or something? I know if you're travelling within Europe you don't need a passport to get between EU countries, but seems the UK is only country to not sign up to this! Chances are they'd let you into Ireland, but you wouldn't be able to get back in (knowing this place!!)!

You only need a schengen visa if you are a foreign national living or holidaying in Britain and you want to visit an E.U. country.You must apply for the visa at the first country you go too,their embassy,then you can travel anywhere in the E.U.

Archived