Do you need a passport to visit Southern Ireland (Eire)??

You do not need a passport no, I go to Ireland a few times a year though and I always take it just as a good form of photo ID.

I have always been asked for photo ID to board a plane, even an internal UK flight.

Your driving licence photocard should be fine for either a flight or the ferry.

Personally I always take the ferry as I like to take my car with me. Also I hate the stupid luggage rule on flights, on the ferry you can take whatever you like (within reason!).

Whereabouts are you going Megalithic? I bet you'll have a lovely time anyway it's a brilliant place for a holiday.

At least one airline that I know of now insists on passengers having a passport, even for internal UK flights - Frankie Dettori was denied boarding from Norwich to Glasgow, a few weeks back, because he did not have his passport. Check with your travel operator for their own rules, but legally you can get by without one.

That's outrageous, do you know which airline that is? I hope he is suing the airline. The last time I flew internally in the UK I didn't have to show any form of ID, why should I? I can't see how it benefits the airline to check ID on an internal flight.

What about people who don't own a passport?

That's outrageous, do you know which airline that is? I hope he is suing the airline. The last time I flew internally in the UK I didn't have to show any form of ID, why should I? I can't see how it benefits the airline to check ID on an internal flight.

What about people who don't own a passport?

At what point does an aircraft fly internally differ from than those that fly externally? They both fly, don't they?

You do not need a passport no, I go to Ireland a few times a year though and I always take it just as a good form of photo ID.

I have always been asked for photo ID to board a plane, even an internal UK flight.

Your driving licence photocard should be fine for either a flight or the ferry.

Personally I always take the ferry as I like to take my car with me. Also I hate the stupid luggage rule on flights, on the ferry you can take whatever you like (within reason!).

Whereabouts are you going Megalithic? I bet you'll have a lovely time anyway it's a brilliant place for a holiday.

i want to spend a bit of time backpacking taking in this place. :)

i want to spend a bit of time backpacking taking in this place. :)

Oh my you will enjoy that! My mum and dad live in Kerry, I can assure you that it is a fabulous part of the world - loads of good walking, lovely beaches, great pubs with brilliant food and of course a lot of ancient sites like that one (lots with honesty boxes!!)

One day I will move there..... if only! Hopefully I'll be spending Christmas in Kerry which will be fab!

Oh and if you do take the ferry and car there's now really good motorway links for much of the way to Kerry, the journey time from Dublin has reduced by probably nearly 2 hours over the last few years!

At what point does an aircraft fly internally differ from than those that fly externally? They both fly, don't they?

You don't, in law, need a passport in order to board a plane flying to Chile. The airline will insist on seeing it for your own sake, because you're going to need a passport when you get there.

You also don't, in law, need a passport if you're flying to Bournemouth, and since you don't need one when you get there either, most airlines don't expect you to produce one.

Last time I flew within the UK I didn't have to show any form of ID. I can't think of any reason ID would need to be checked to go on a plane. You don't have to show ID to get on a train.

People might say "to stop terrorists", but how would showing his passport or any other form of ID stop a suicide bomber?

No airline in existence will let you board an international flight if you do not have a valid current passport (outside of the EU zone)

Most countries also require aircrews to supply passengers with a landing details form requesting information such as the address where you will be staying in that country and for how long

No airline in existence will let you board an international flight if you do not have a valid current passport (outside of the EU zone)

True, but not because it's a legal requirement to have a passport to board; if you get on a flight to a foreign country, land there, stay on board and fly straight back, you'd have broken no laws.

They don't allow it because they know damn well that nobody intends to do that.

Archived