Has anyone successfully sued the NHS?

I see both sides here.

There isn't enough cash in the NHS as it is without people taking more out, but I do agree that the diagnosis should have been caught by the Drs, if a paid Dr can do it why can't an NHS Dr

That's a nonsensical statement; NHS Dr's are paid Dr's.

Exactly my point though, why when being paid privetly can they pick up problems, but not when being paid by the NHS

This is not always the case - I am aware are several incidences where the reverse is true.

I don't think enormous pay outs that have no bearing to the actual injury/ loss are made in this country. If someone gets their toe broken by a porter being careless with a wheel chair they won't end up with enough money to buy a BMW.

The BUPA/NHS argument doesn't wash - if someone has a legitimate case it makes no odds who the doctor was working for - the outcome is the same for the patient. As far as I'm aware both BUPA & the NHS would be insured for this - I'm sure someone who works in the industry could enlighten us though.

Unless of course you're suggesting that the public sector shouldn't pay any compensation due to the loss to the tax payer. With that logic though if a marauding police officer in a police car knocks you over and paralyses you whilst on duty through no fault of your own then you won't be suing for loss of income. You'll just get them to adapt your house & then happily live on state benefits.

Archived