Hillsborough snooker hall

ballie

Used to be my regular haunt from about 1958 and I used it regularly when on leave from the Navy as all my mates were at work during the day. Never played on any other table than 13 or 1. Remember "Pop" well when he ran the counter. I also remember Frank Bostock who was a rated player. He lived opposite me on Shenstone Road and his eyes lit up when he first went in there as a little boy with his brother Gary. Too many memories and good games.

In 1961 I played the Singapore amateur champion, who was giving a display session at HMS Terror. All my Hillsborough skills came to the fore and I dicked him 4 games to 1.

It was turned into a car showroom but i remember it well as a lad and as Jossman said "pop"

used to look after the counter and clean the tables. Table 13 was the one nearest the counter and from memory i think it was on the slow side compared to the others.

The best player I remember then was a friend called Trevor Marshall who lived on Parkside Rd.

It was turned into a car showroom but i remember it well as a lad and as Jossman said "pop"

used to look after the counter and clean the tables. Table 13 was the one nearest the counter and from memory i think it was on the slow side compared to the others.

The best player I remember then was a friend called Trevor Marshall who lived on Parkside Rd.

I too remember Trevor, a good player but Frank Bostock was on his way to becoming professional at a very young age. Unfortunately he fell by the wayside for reasons I cannot mention.

Was a Snooker Hall also over some shops at Holme Lane in the 1950s?

That's right Bert

Where the bus stop is, overlooking the Weir there were 5 shops with the snooker hall upstairs.

I did frequent that snooker hall in the mid 50s.

Looking at the site now you would wonder how in h***s name they got them on there.

I have a print of Geo; Cunningham's circa mid 30s."Hillsborough Corner" I posted the picture somewhere on the Forum

The shops are starting from Langsett Rd,Public Benefit Co,J Burden (butcher),Douro Wines,Fisher,(sign on the window says 'Latest Styles'????), Chap~~~~( indistinct) for fresh fruit

Was a Snooker Hall also over some shops at Holme Lane in the 1950s?

If the description by sweetdexter is correct, this must be where I remember the Chinese Restaraunt in the late sixties. Don't remember a snooker hall.

If the description by sweetdexter is correct, this must be where I remember the Chinese Restaraunt in the late sixties. Don't remember a snooker hall.

I've spent some hours up in the hall.

Higgins & the rest came later when all the balls were round and the same size & shape!! ( & Coloured!! ).

The practice stood me in good stead when I served my National Service as playing '501 up' at Darts.

Archived