Aagrah -Thoughts?

Guderian

Well for me, if there's one that just has all of this it is The Aagrah on Sea View Street in Cleethorpes. It has been with the same owner for years - far longer than I have been alive - and he is as dated as the restaurant itself. It is my home town and we used to go there frequently. It's a year or two since I last looked in but nothing had changed. They even have over the top china plates with their name and phone number on! Enjoy, I'm sorry it's not ever so close but it's not much over an hour to get there and it's a gem it really is. There was until just over a year ago another place very close to it called the Jewel In the Crown which had all the old skool touches plus overly attentive service. At the Aagrah you literally have food thrown at you. Seek it out, honestly you won't be disappointed and best part of all the prices are incredulously small, I think onion bhaji is still £1.70!

Well for me, if there's one that just has all of this it is The Aagrah on Sea View Street in Cleethorpes. It has been with the same owner for years - far longer than I have been alive - and he is as dated as the restaurant itself. It is my home town and we used to go there frequently. It's a year or two since I last looked in but nothing had changed. They even have over the top china plates with their name and phone number on! Enjoy, I'm sorry it's not ever so close but it's not much over an hour to get there and it's a gem it really is. There was until just over a year ago another place very close to it called the Jewel In the Crown which had all the old skool touches plus overly attentive service. At the Aagrah you literally have food thrown at you. Seek it out, honestly you won't be disappointed and best part of all the prices are incredulously small, I think onion bhaji is still £1.70!

Thanks for the recommendation. I think this might deserve a thread of its own, there must be other people who know of old skool Indian restaurants closer than the Lincolnshire coast and the Cotwolds.

• 4 weeks later...

Went there last week with a friend and I must say it waS GREAT - everything from the trendy decor (check out the gents!) to the attentive staff to the seating to the food - some great kashmiri dishes - to the prices - a welcome improvement to the Sheffield restaurant scene - I'm definitely going again soon !

I think the reviewers point is that you really can't discern much in the food.

I've not seen Bombay Duck in a long time but I can recommend some impressively retro Indian restaurants not so far away from Sheffield: thread-bare Wilton carpets, flock wall-paper juxtaposed with paintings of tigers, booths separated by crushed velvet sheets, a patrician owner, watered down drinks, Arabesque ornaments, plastic flowers - the works!

Isn't there one at the top of West Street that fits this description....

I see. It's certainly an interesting one. While it has some of the shabby charm of the 'old skool' Indians which I so dearly love the service tends to verge on the aggressive so it loses points for me. I'm not sure if she has a mantra that guides her through life but I might suggest that, "cram it down their throats," might be it!

I see. It's certainly an interesting one. While it has some of the shabby charm of the 'old skool' Indians which I so dearly love the service tends to verge on the aggressive so it loses points for me. I'm not sure if she has a mantra that guides her through life but I might suggest that, "cram it down their throats," might be it!

I have only been a couple of times, and not for a few years. The food wasn't thrilling. Not awful, just not all that. The prices weren't cheap and I found the service intrusive.

It could be funny, especially with the little hen-pecked hubby running round, but I'd have to be in the right mood.

I literally could not express my own thoughts any better Galbraith. It's a sort of bizarre cabaret you don't expect to encounter - or pay for - in real life.

It has been probably 3 years since I last went, nothing, at the present time, is making me consider a return visit I have so profess.

Archived