Aagrah -Thoughts?

Guderian

I find it very touching that Gupta (whom I trust we're talking about) not only joins you at your table but heartily recommends other dishes (which in a coconut shell, you don't really want) and then, to top the night off, you find has (or rather, have, she usually recommends more than one dish) been added to your bill.

Old school? Well, yeh, that might be the right phrase.

(Trouble is I quite like her place but I'm not prepared to be treated like this so avoid it. I suppose you could say it just doesn't feel nirmal [sic]!)

It was that which pretty much finished me off with that particular West Street based Indian restaurant. My definition of 'old skool' is described above but I think a key element of it is that heady mix of being simultaneously fawned over while at the same time being subject to an almost palpable pressure to shut up, quickly eat your meal, make payment in cash and leave!

The proprietor of that place is intrusive and actually quite rude and not in a funny way.

I'm afraid I have to disagree. She can be fairly insistent, but does listen if you know what you want. She isn't all that keen on people ordering off the menu - it is better to order off the specials blackboard. These are all the same price, bar one or two, and are not OTT. The food is freshly prepared and individual, and very tasty. I use a number of different restaurants - Ashoka, Mangla, Indian Chef in Crookes and the one on Meadowbank Rd whose name I forget for the moment. Each have their good points. I enjoy the fact that one can have a genuine converstion with Mrs G, and she does stuff that no others do - the dips for the poppadoms for example.

As someone said about Cafe Guru, it is not a place for the end of night curry.

My friend and I dined there the other night and I must say its LOOOOVERLY !!! - Madame Nirmal is SOOOOO attentive and advised us on what to eat and had we considered all the options ... those little snugs are sooo cosy for conversation and the history of the place is phenomenal - so many pictures of famous celebrities in - her home cooked dishes are superb well worth the money - check out the spinach ones mmmmmm its an unique Sheffield experience that everyone should experience !!! Tip top classy place !!!!

• 1 month later...

I went there last night with a friend. As it was a Tuesday we did not expect it to be busy- it wasn't. We were quickly shown to our table and after 30 secs the complimentary poppadoms arrived with the pickle tray which were impressed by, and out order taken. BUT not 5 mins after our main arrived! The table ended up being so overcrowded with food as they didn't wait at all.

The food was not amazing either, I've had a better chiken tikka masala from perfect cuisine takeaway! We didn't finish our meals and ordered more drinks, they brought the menu for deserts and it was not long before they came to take our order for that. We hadn't even looked at it! We'd eaten so much in a short space of time we were just not ready then the waiter took away the menu and brought the bill! We had not even asked for it!

We carried on chatting and drinking our drinks when a waitress came and tried to take the bill back when we had to explain that we had not paid yet- talk about being eager! We then felt the need to get our purses out and pay, but did not move as we wanted to finish our drinks. The waitress the looked over at us whilst with another waiter and said something about us. We got the impression that they wanted the table. It was a Tuesday, it was not busy and they had no reason to be so rushed about everything. My friend had eaten there before and always enjoyed it, but we will never return.

If you want a rushed meal (which isn't that great) and made to feel like you should not be there this is the place for you. However, if you like to enjoy a meal when you go out and not be rushed about DON'T GO HERE!!

I personally wouldn't take advice from someone who goes to a good curry house and has a Chicken Tikka Masala when there are so many other original dishes on the menu. It does sound like you were rushed a bit which is a shame, I've eaten there so many times and have never had that experience. You should've filled out a comments card about it. I think you've just had one bad experience though and you shouldn't tell everyone not to go just because of one experience.

Smsm, as this was the first (and last) time I had been to this place I thought I would go with what I know and Chicken Tikka Masala is a dish that I know tastes really good. Unfortunately, as I know what it should taste like, this just didn't do it for me at all! The pilau rice was greasy and naan bread crispy- more like a chapiti (not sure on spelling). Either way I just wouldn't go there again and after speaking to people at work they have also heard similar, and would not go there. Obviously the best curry house in Sheffield is yet to be seen....

On another note, has anyone been to Jumeriah on London Road?? Thought I would get a heads up before I go!

Well I had another night out at Seven Spices the other night - my third visit.

Faultless. Brilliantly managed, you feel welcome there. The food is magnificent (probably the best popadums and pickle tray in the region?), Kingfisher beer and incredibly cheap.

Also, theirs is the only food which doesn't leave a nasty after-taste the morning after.

I will make visit four very soon! (They also understand my Hindi; wow, that's something!)

Been to Aagrah three times now. I've been very happy with the meals and the price and service. I'm a fan of cafe guru as well. But there charge to much for there food and bottled beer and are very slow.

In town indian Aagrah has it.

I used to drive from Sheffield to Denby Dale to eat at Aagrah - it was the nearest one to Sheffield until the Leopold Square one opened recently. So, you could say I'm a convert to this chain of restaurants which has been regarded as one of the best in West Yorkshire, and in fact, in the country (according to various food guides) for some time.

So, I've been to Aagrah Leopold street on about half a dozen occasions so far. Obviously, I've enjoyed it or I wouldn't keep going back. In particular I like the fact that you can choose fresh fish from the counter and have it cooked in whatever way. There's something about fish cooked in Indian spices that is so exquisite. Very few Indian restaurants offer this - that's a good sign in itself as far as I'm concerned.

First time we went was on a saturday night, just after they'd opened. It was absolutely heaving and it took an hour to get to our table, even though we'd booked for 9, it was 10 before they could seat us. I wouldn't recommend going on a saturday night to anyone, unless you like hanging around.

The Sheffield Star didn't give the place a very good write-up. I think that probably says more about their food writer than it does the restaurant. Maybe he was at a loss not to see "Chicken tikka masala" and "meat bhuna/dansak/madras" etc on the menu? Poor soul must have felt completely lost. I think the menu is extensive, probably too much choice actually, and a bit esoteric for some. The only criticism I'd have is that I've yet to order a curry there which comes with decent sized cubes of meat in it. The taste has been delicious but invariably the meat is in little thin slithers which is a bit of a shame.

On my last visit, about 3 weeks ago, the service was extremely rapid so maybe they have more staff now, or are less busy?

I am glad to see Sheffield have a good Indian restaurant at last. I haven't tried Cafe Guru but am looking forward to doing so, I've heard that's very good too. The other one which I think is worth of a mention is Akbars, down on Meadow Hall Road, or Meadow Bank road or whatever it's called - anyhow, it's past Meadowhall, heading to Rotherham off the Tinsley North roundabout. That's another West Yorkshire legend that has come to Sheffield. Nice food, in authentic indian dungeon surroundings!

Archived