Aagrah -Thoughts?

Guderian

Cafe Guru's menu is tiny by comparison and the food is on a different level to Aagrah's.

The latter, IMO is better for ending the night after a skin full of ale when you're tastebuds are shot and the former is better for a meal before a night out where the flavours of the food are sharp and served in a lovely environment.

Indeed, I rate Cafe Guru very highly; Aagrah is run-of-the-mill late night ruby.

As a result of your post I've now tried Cafe Guru and I was very impressed. There aren't so many places that do "contemporary Indian" well but this one does. And, to find decent wines on the list was a treat. The Mission Hawkes Bay chardonnay was excellent.

It was nice not to have to read through an encyclopedia of a menu before choosing something. That's something I find a bit off-putting at Aagrah - millions of dishes and a menu that is hard to read even with glasses on.

I liked Cafe Guru very much and will definitely be going there regularly in future.

As a result of your post I've now tried Cafe Guru and I was very impressed. There aren't so many places that do "contemporary Indian" well but this one does. And, to find decent wines on the list was a treat. The Mission Hawkes Bay chardonnay was excellent.

It was nice not to have to read through an encyclopedia of a menu before choosing something. That's something I find a bit off-putting at Aagrah - millions of dishes and a menu that is hard to read even with glasses on.

I liked Cafe Guru very much and will definitely be going there regularly in future.

The Pouilly-Fumé is much better trust me, glad you had a great time at Cafe Guru DD, it beats Aagrah hands down and Ousetunes post sums both places up perfectly

Well I had another night out at Seven Spices the other night - my third visit.

Faultless. Brilliantly managed, you feel welcome there. The food is magnificent (probably the best popadums and pickle tray in the region?), Kingfisher beer and incredibly cheap.

Also, theirs is the only food which doesn't leave a nasty after-taste the morning after.

I will make visit four very soon! (They also understand my Hindi; wow, that's something!)

It is great to know that the 7 Spices is serving up good food again. I had been a fan of the place since it first opened, up until 2 - 3 years when Sharma left to run his own place in Matlock. Sharma was actually Indian and enjoyed creating new dishes - we were the guinea pigs for his roast whole salmon in spicy crust, duck massallam etc. The place became fairly ordinary and could not compete (IMHO) with certain establishments on The Wicker...I shall have to return and see how it is getting on.

Smsm, as this was the first (and last) time I had been to this place I thought I would go with what I know and Chicken Tikka Masala is a dish that I know tastes really good. Unfortunately, as I know what it should taste like, this just didn't do it for me at all! The pilau rice was greasy and naan bread crispy- more like a chapiti (not sure on spelling). Either way I just wouldn't go there again and after speaking to people at work they have also heard similar, and would not go there. Obviously the best curry house in Sheffield is yet to be seen....

On another note, has anyone been to Jumeriah on London Road?? Thought I would get a heads up before I go!

You interpret the rice as 'greasy' but it is just authentically cooked in 'ghee', fat is what makes it taste nice. I've never had a crispy naan there, that's a shame. I guess people just have different tastes. I've eaten there for 14 years (at least) and have never had a bad meal. I'm from Bradford so probably have different curry tastes to people from other places.

I went to Aagrah on Saturday night for the first time. I'm not someone who eats a lot of Indian food so i don't have much frame of reference, but i was impressed by it. I ordered things i'd not eaten before and thought it was all very good, as did the people i went with. Service was a little frosty to begin with, but warmed up after a while. I will be going back, but Cafe Guru may be the next stop judging by the comments on here!

• 2 years later...

I went with a large work group around Christmas and we thought the staff were really rude - it was all prepaid and they were constantly trying to get us to buy more drinks (a large number of the group were Muslim and they kept pushing alcohol) as I assume they wanted to make more money out of us on the night.

Archived