Sheffield's benefactors - C.P.R.E.

The city of Sheffield has over the years benefitted by the actions of many benefactors. J.G.Graves probably being the most well known of them.

However behind the actions of most men is a woman who in the early years of the 1900 was normally not seen or heard of.

Mrs Haythornethwaite formerly Gallimore, nee Ward was certainly one of these woman. She instigated Graves to buy Blackamoor. Dan Doncaster to contribute to purchasing Longshaw. Formed the Sheffield Branch of the Council for the Protection of Rural England and typed a great deal of G.H.B.Ward Clarion Ramblers Handbooks.

Has anyone done a thesis on her or got more information?

I hope that someone has done (or will do) a thesis on Ethel Haythornthwaite; she was a wonderful person. Ethel and her second husband Gerald (a retired Lieutenant-Colonel) were pillars of the C.P.R.E. and worked tirelessly for many other worthy causes. I got to know the Haythornthwaites quite well in the early 1970s when they were customers of the Midland Bank where I worked. Ethel Mary Bassett Ward was born on 18 January 1894, a daughter of Thomas W. Ward and his wife Mary Sophia Ward, née Bassett. Her early years were spent at the Wards' home in Millhouses Lane, and later at Endcliffe Vale House. Ethel died in April 1986 at the advanced age of 92; Gerald (who was 18 years younger than Ethel) survived her by nine years. Ethel had married Henry Gallimore in 1916 and was later widowed.

I hope that someone has done (or will do) a thesis on Ethel Haythornthwaite; she was a wonderful person. Ethel and her second husband Gerald (a retired Lieutenant-Colonel) were pillars of the C.P.R.E. and worked tirelessly for many other worthy causes. I got to know the Haythornthwaites quite well in the early 1970s when they were customers of the Midland Bank where I worked. Ethel Mary Bassett Ward was born on 18 January 1894, a daughter of Thomas W. Ward and his wife Mary Sophia Ward, née Bassett. Her early years were spent at the Wards' home in Millhouses Lane, and later at Endcliffe Vale House. Ethel died in April 1986 at the advanced age of 92; Gerald (who was 18 years younger than Ethel) survived her by nine years. Ethel had married Henry Gallimore in 1916 and was later widowed.

Please put together all that you can remember because you have just met someone whose aim is to persuade someone, more able than I,' To do just that ', I'll assist with the labouring required. ( Not with the writing though )!!

A great number of open spaces in this City of Sheffield and probably ' All of the Peak District National Park ' owes its very existence to Ethel Mary Basset Ward's persuading abilities and fore sight. Today we would have had ribbon housing development from Sheffield/Dore by the roadside to Castleton and on-wards from Winnats top to Chapel en le Firth. Sheffield/Totley to Buxton with branches off to Matlock, Bakewell, Ashbourne.

In short, we would not recognize the beauty of the area. After all plans to build Villas existed to cover Totley Moors and Blackamoor.

Anyone else with memories of the Haythornthwaites. Please put what you know on to paper or if you want to assist let me know. ( It will be voluntarily) - Thank you.

A book of poems to read for those interested is,' Pride of the Peak ' and a small woodland is planted opposite Dore Nurseries at the top of Brickhouse Lane, Dore. across from The Dore Moor Inn. where you can get a very good meal or a nice cuppa at the Garden Centre.

Note: Ethel Ward was not the daughter of G.H.B.Ward of The Sheffield Clarion Ramblers. although they certainly knew each other and thought along the same lines.

G.H.B.Ward was also the first secretary of the Sheffield Labour Party.

Personally I believe that Ethel Ward, given the opportunity, would have been Sheffield's first Woman's Lib(er).

Please put together all that you can remember because you have just met someone whose aim is to persuade someone, more able than I,' To do just that ', I'll assist with the labouring required. ( Not with the writing though )!!

A great number of open spaces in this City of Sheffield and probably ' All of the Peak District National Park ' owes its very existence to Ethel Mary Basset Ward's persuading abilities and fore sight. Today we would have had ribbon housing development from Sheffield/Dore by the roadside to Castleton and on-wards from Winnats top to Chapel en le Firth. Sheffield/Totley to Buxton with branches off to Matlock, Bakewell, Ashbourne.

In short, we would not recognize the beauty of the area. After all plans to build Villas existed to cover Totley Moors and Blackamoor.

Anyone else with memories of the Haythornthwaites. Please put what you know on to paper or if you want to assist let me know. ( It will be voluntarily) - Thank you.

A book of poems to read for those interested is,' Pride of the Peak ' and a small woodland is planted opposite Dore Nurseries at the top of Brickhouse Lane, Dore. across from The Dore Moor Inn. where you can get a very good meal or a nice cuppa at the Garden Centre.

Note: Ethel Ward was not the daughter of G.H.B.Ward of The Sheffield Clarion Ramblers. although they certainly knew each other and thought along the same lines.

G.H.B.Ward was also the first secretary of the Sheffield Labour Party.

Personally I believe that Ethel Ward, given the opportunity, would have been Sheffield's first Woman's Lib(er).

A long standing friend of mine was Gerald Haythornthwaite's P.A. for 40 years.I have told her about this thread and she is goig to reply to you.She feels that because of your knowledge of the Haythornthwaites she must surely know you.

I was interested to read your postings about the Haythornthwaites. I knew both Ethel and Gerald very well. I would recommend to you Professor Mel Jones book 'Protecting the Beautiful Frame - a history of the Sheffield, Peak District and South Yorkshire Branch of the Council for the Protection of Rural England'. Published by Hallamshire Press in 2001. I believe it is still available from the CPRE at 22a Endcliffe Crescent, Sheffield S10 3EF.

Both Ethel and Gerald were give honorary degrees by Sheffield University. Ethel was an awarded an MBE and Gerald a CBE. However, their wonderful work is not well enough known in this city.

I am looking forward to that. - Thank you.

Whilst on about especially Ethel. She was the inspiration behind obtaining Longshaw Park and in about 1935 or 36 a plaque was engraved to publically show the gratitude of the Longshaw Park House Committee of which, I believe, she was the secretary. This plaque is not there anymore. It very much looks like a sheep, or someone with less intellect of one, as removed it.

The plaque was sunk into a rock face immediately in front is a stone seat or form.

It ts situated at GR 2665 7859 on the OL24 Map. From Little Jon's Well you go up some stone steps which are set in the bank side and just before the top on the left the seat is situated.

What I'd like to know is has anyone got a readable photograph or know what wording was etched on the plaque? or got the actual plaque.

Yes, Ethel was the driving force behind the purchase of Longshaw for the National Trust. I am sure this would not have happened if it had not been for her. I am afraid I don't know about the plaque. Perhaps it was destroyed many years ago. She was very self-effacing and would not have talked about anything like that, so I am afraid I don't have information about it - but I am glad to know it was once there. Ethel was secretary of the Longshaw Management Committee of the National Trust for over 40 years.

I was interested to read your postings about the Haythornthwaites. I knew both Ethel and Gerald very well. I would recommend to you Professor Mel Jones book 'Protecting the Beautiful Frame - a history of the Sheffield, Peak District and South Yorkshire Branch of the Council for the Protection of Rural England'. Published by Hallamshire Press in 2001. I believe it is still available from the CPRE at 22a Endcliffe Crescent, Sheffield S10 3EF.

Both Ethel and Gerald were give honorary degrees by Sheffield University. Ethel was an awarded an MBE and Gerald a CBE. However, their wonderful work is not well enough known in this city.

I've read the book and I find it very informative and easily read.

I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the Peak District National Park.

Has anyone else information regarding the work of ' The Haythornthwaites?

Archived