Is Being Shallow always a Negative Quality?

I never thought shallow was trying to be more beautiful.

I think a person is shallow when he/she cannot see the qualities that lie beneath the surface, does not want to discuss anything that may need a little compassion.

I've known one or two surface dwellers, they are so transparent.

hazel

Certainly a lot don't realise that sometimes, less is more!

Walk past any perfume or make-up counter in a department store and look at the staff! I bet they spend ages thinking they're making themselves look really good as well.

I think a bit of makeup is ok, particularly for women with a blotchy complexion, but a lot of women do overdo it.

I feel like I had to stand up for women on issues like this. In a way, not all make up from women are done for the purpose of attracting men. At the same time, I do feel sorry for women who have to put themselves through the experience of "make up class 101" to find the right combination and the right product for their health and skin. I know I had to go through this kind of experimental stage too until I found the right colour and understand the concept for my own skin.

Not all women have the luxury of a fairy god mother or a personal make-up artist like the stars who can tell us what we need and don't need. It took me a while to figure that I can't find foundation from the typical high street that matches my facial colour cos of my SE asian tones. I used to look like a ghost on photos! >.< The horror. A few late nights reading stupid manuals for work drowns one's looks, and still have to be bright-eyed and bushy tail and in a hyper mode to server customers and clients?

Hm...

Let's face it, looks do count. If you're in the workplace, you have to appear to be professional. If you are on a date, you have to look attractive. If you are at a wedding, you have to look proper for the occassion. Sometimes you can over do it, but now I think it's important to dress for the occassion. Depending on where you are, I find that "OTT" level varies too. Weddings here are more like a black-tie events.

Yet, weddings in SE Asia, it's more toned down, and you don't over-dress more than the hosts. It's a lot more "smart casual". I struggled to know what to wear for this kind of wedding... :confused:

I feel like I had to stand up for women on issues like this. In a way, not all make up from women are done for the purpose of attracting men. At the same time, I do feel sorry for women who have to put themselves through the experience of "make up class 101" to find the right combination and the right product for their health and skin. I know I had to go through this kind of experimental stage too until I found the right colour and understand the concept for my own skin.

Not all women have the luxury of a fairy god mother or a personal make-up artist like the stars who can tell us what we need and don't need. It took me a while to figure that I can't find foundation from the typical high street that matches my facial colour cos of my SE asian tones. I used to look like a ghost on photos! >.< The horror. A few late nights reading stupid manuals for work drowns one's looks, and still have to be bright-eyed and bushy tail and in a hyper mode to server customers and clients?

Hm...

Let's face it, looks do count. If you're in the workplace, you have to appear to be professional. If you are on a date, you have to look attractive. If you are at a wedding, you have to look proper for the occassion. Sometimes you can over do it, but now I think it's important to dress for the occassion. Depending on where you are, I find that "OTT" level varies too. Weddings here are more like a black-tie events.

Yet, weddings in SE Asia, it's more toned down, and you don't over-dress more than the hosts. It's a lot more "smart casual". I struggled to know what to wear for this kind of wedding... :confused:

All very good, but has nothing to do with an excess of make-up. What you're talking about is choosing the right make-up. Completely different to women who just cake it on.

Shallowness is a negative quality bound by pragmatism. Take looks.

Beauty, rightly or wrongly, is always rewarded. As many Psychologists have shown, it is in our very nature to praise and be sycophantic to those blessed with looks. It is no coincidence for example, that receptionists or personal assistants are often genetically blessed individuals. They are the ostensible face of the company when a new client walks in; no one wants to see a toothless sow with a face like a welders bench, no matter how fabulous her personality might be. Indeed, a cursory glance through some small ads will often stipulate that for certain roles, good looks are a pre-requisite. Beauty is a commodity and can be used to gain status and power. As was discussed on a recent trip to the pub, when is the last time you saw an ugly bird in the passenger seat of a Ferrari?

All very good, but has nothing to do with an excess of make-up. What you're talking about is choosing the right make-up. Completely different to women who just cake it on.

You don't get it, do you? To be more precise with it, some women that you see as "caking" it on IMHO is either:

1) doing it for effect and for self expression in a more artistic way (e.g. goths, dramatic choices of colourings etc)

2) unsure or thought that the colour do look as it does on the packet, but in reality with the effect of lighting, day or night, does not look exactly like it say on the packaging.

I've done scenario 2 a lot before...

I've also "caked" a lot of foundation on my face before, not knowing how it really should look. Until you have a "control" to compare the result with, not all women will know how it should look. Or even maybe there is a number 3) scenario, which is that, (and I am guilty of it myself), to continue using certain type of make-ups and colours which you were used to when you were young, but does not match as your skin or face changes as you mature...

So I hope if men know these kind of details, they will give women a break. :rolleyes:

You don't get it, do you? To be more precise with it, some women that you see as "caking" it on IMHO is either:

1) doing it for effect and for self expression in a more artistic way (e.g. goths, dramatic choices of colourings etc)

2) unsure or thought that the colour do look as it does on the packet, but in reality with the effect of lighting, day or night, does not look exactly like it say on the packaging.

I've done scenario 2 a lot before...

I've also "caked" a lot of foundation on my face before, not knowing how it really should look. Until you have a "control" to compare the result with, not all women will know how it should look. Or even maybe there is a number 3) scenario, which is that, (and I am guilty of it myself), to continue using certain type of make-ups and colours which you were used to when you were young, but does not match as your skin or face changes as you mature...

So I hope if men know these kind of details, they will give women a break. :rolleyes:

I think they do it because they misguidedly think it looks good.

I think they do it because they misguidedly think it looks good.

*Groan* You're a classic.

I take it you know that cos you've been a woman?

Anyway, sometimes making one self look presentable is not always set out to attract, but more to do with being in a uniform, or a kind of duty as well. It depends on how you look at it... Everyone is different.

2) unsure or thought that the colour do look as it does on the packet, but in reality with the effect of lighting, day or night, does not look exactly like it say on the packaging

3) They are trying to disguise the fact they are either very old or very plain looking.