Adrians fish and chips.

only_me

I remember 2 chippies in the area of Sitwell Road, Highfield, but not actually ON the road.

I remember Fitzie's (FitzGeralds) corner shop on the junction of Mount Pleasant and Sitwell Rds, and the small bakery on the opposite corner.

I don't remember another shop there, till the beer-off on the corner of Cecil road and Sitwell.

I do remember the chippy that was on Sharrow lane, just below where Sharrow Lane joins Sharrow Street, and I remember the chippy on Club Garden Road on the corner of Hobart (?) St.

I remember 2 chippies in the area of Sitwell Road, Highfield, but not actually ON the road.

I remember Fitzie's (FitzGeralds) corner shop on the junction of Mount Pleasant and Sitwell Rds, and the small bakery on the opposite corner.

I don't remember another shop there, till the beer-off on the corner of Cecil road and Sitwell.

I do remember the chippy that was on Sharrow lane, just below where Sharrow Lane joins Sharrow Street, and I remember the chippy on Club Garden Road on the corner of Hobart (?) St.

I knew the fitzgeralds well and remember the shop on the opposite corner. There was also another corner shop before the one on cecil/sitwell as there was a road between mount pleasent and cecil road (i forget the name) Adrians was between this middle road and cecil road. I also know all the chippies you mention, Dixons was a good one on london rd. Also remember Mrs Bagleys shop on the corner of Horner/Mount pleasant. Can you remember on abbeydale road Mr Slater the greengrocer? also the papershop that was maybe called hunters? and Marco italian restaraunt (the family have a few restraunts now) There was loads of little shops around in them days.

I knew the fitzgeralds well and remember the shop on the opposite corner. There was also another corner shop before the one on cecil/sitwell as there was a road between mount pleasent and cecil road (i forget the name) Adrians was between this middle road and cecil road. I also know all the chippies you mention, Dixons was a good one on london rd. Also remember Mrs Bagleys shop on the corner of Horner/Mount pleasant. Can you remember on abbeydale road Mr Slater the greengrocer? also the papershop that was maybe called hunters? and Marco italian restaraunt (the family have a few restraunts now) There was loads of little shops around in them days.

Wasn't one of the shops on the corner of Horner Road with Abbeydale called Roses? Mrs Rose always used to call me "spadge" or "sparrer"/ "****-sparrer" when I went in as a little girl, for my "10p mixups" :lol: :lol:

The road between MP and Cecil was Sherrington Road. I don't remember the shops between the bakers opposite "fitzies" and the beer off on the corner of Cecil/ Sitwell. my memory is very vague about that strip, but I remember Fitzies well, and the top beer off.

I remember Mrs Bagleys shop on the far end of MPR but it was about shut down by the 70's.

I remember Mr Slater, his old grocers shop is now called "Paraphernalia" and is an antique/ curios shop now.

The Hunters certainly did own the paper shop on the parade of about eight shops that ran between Crowther Place and Pawson Place. I was friends with their daughter Elaine. Mr Hunter was lovely, when I had to run down to their shop for them to phone an ambulance when my Honorary gramma, who lived next door collapsed. Mrs Hunter called the ambulance, whilst Mr Hunter came back with me to see if there was anything he could do for her. She sadly died.

My mother used to get the fish and eggs etc from Dunbar Cookes on the opposite side of London Road from Fitzies. MY mum worked for Shepherd ironmongers on the far set of shops where caudles upholsterers and Wilks' lumber/ diy shop were. old man shepherd was a so-and-so. My mum was sacked for getting pregnant!!! In 1977!!!!

oh the memories!

Great memories Plain Talker, i think i told you before i lived in the same yard as W.H.Rose lol. I do remember Elaine. Some of my friends in those days was Ahmen Mahon (forgive my spelling) Christopher Hockney, The Fergusons, the Dockings. I could go on all day lol. You will know most the people i remember from those days in that area.

Great memories Plain Talker, i think i told you before i lived in the same yard as W.H.Rose lol. I do remember Elaine. Some of my friends in those days was Ahmen Mahon (forgive my spelling) Christopher Hockney, The Fergusons, the Dockings. I could go on all day lol. You will know most the people i remember from those days in that area.

there are a lot of familiar names, Onlyme.

I was talking with members of the Docking family in Norfolk Park only recently, at the bank holiday weekend festival. I used to be pals with Julie and Linda. Do you remember the Duckers and the Connellys?

there are a lot of familiar names, Onlyme.

I was talking with members of the Docking family in Norfolk Park only recently, at the bank holiday weekend festival. I used to be pals with Julie and Linda. Do you remember the Duckers and the Connellys?

I can vaguely remember a connely drank in the royal and bridge maybe the dad?. I often see members of the docking family around Arbourthorne, i remember Sid docking well . Gaina hurst and Maureen naseby spring to mind. My old mate Tomo, Lee thompson who also lived on MPR. Graham and Sheila Kay also Tiny, who lived almost across from Hunters. Did you know the Fitzpatrick sisters who lived on Cecil rd ?

• 16 years later...
On 09/12/2007 at 09:50, only_me said:

Can anyone remember Adrians great fish and chip shop?. His shop was first situated at Sitwell rd Highfields circa 1970s. He later relocated to infirmary (or maybe langsett) rd near to the old bingo hall that was demolished in the 1980s.

ADRIANS.jpg