Morrissey/Smith night in Sheffield - we need one!!!

topshop_las

If there's a cover band that does his music I can arrange a Saturday night at the Moorfoot for this. Alternatively I can arrange just a night of his music being played (you'll have to help me with the CDs, I don't have much of his music!!) but will need someone to work with on this one.

Are you serious?

I am of a right wing leaning and yet loved the Smiths and still admire Morrissey. IMO, all the guy's done recently is talk about something which is probably bothering the silent majority regarding the changing fabric of this country (and the speed with which it is changing). The word 'racist' gets bandied around like some 'look-at-me' referee brandishing a red card. It is used to stifle debate about a very important issue.

If being concerned about the rate at which this country is changing, the 350+ different languages spoken in London's primary schools and (IIRC) one in five London schools where English is no longer the first language makes me a racist (and makes the loopy lefties happy to have waved their 'red card' at me) then so be it.

As for the Marr comment making the Smiths, I suppose he (Marr) also made Electronica. So by the same token, remove Bernard Sumner from Electronica and what have you got? Morrissey was the McCartney to Marr's Lennon. Admittedly a wicked guitarist, the shimmering arpegios of Marr's playing was the perfect backdrop to Morrissey's grey-skies-and-concrete lyrics.

The Smiths were THE group of the eighties. The Stone Roses were embarrassing imitations by comparison. The difference being that Morrissey moved on when the time was up; The Stone Roses went on like the Rolling Stones treading the same tired path with their mediocre fayre.

The Smith Vs The Stone Roses - now that would be a good thread.

p.s. - the smiths are still sh**e

What's the point in a Morrissey theme night? His fans would be too depressed to leave their bedsits and come out to it......

Whilst I never normally reply to your trollsome posts :) , I do have to quickly correct you (and others) who have only ever taken the Smiths at face value. Their lyrics aren't depressing, they're generally very funny and tongue in cheek. They cheer me up when I'm feeling down, and every other Smith fan I've ever spoken to says the same.

Bring on a Smiths night, I say.

I think Offbeat has a yearly Morrissey/Smiths night at the Raynor Lounge. I think the next one is in May.

but that just plays Morrissey/ Smiths stuff mixed with everything else. We need 100% Morrissey, we need to end the night and walk straight to that railway bridge :hihi:

Is Moz getting a little emotional on this clip or is it put on?

Anyway its so bloody sexy! :)

Whilst I never normally reply to your trollsome posts :) , I do have to quickly correct you (and others) who have only ever taken the Smiths at face value. Their lyrics aren't depressing, they're generally very funny and tongue in cheek. They cheer me up when I'm feeling down, and every other Smith fan I've ever spoken to says the same.

I agree, some songs are really funny :)

Archived