Radio comedy from the 50s-60s

sweetdexter

• 3 weeks later...

I am surprised that no one has mentioned George Cole's radio sit-com A Life Of Bliss it was very popular in the fifties. Jimmy Clitheroe has been mentioned several times but no one has mentioned his stooge I believe he was called Danny Ross, he was very funny. Radio ventriloquist Peter Brough was hopeless when he appeared on tv as was another ventriloquist of the time Saveen but Arthur Worsley was absolutly brilliant, he was the one that let the dummy do all the talking, if that makes sense, those who have seen the act will know what I mean.

Was Eli Woods Roy Castle's sidekick?

Children's Hour was full of interesting things - Norman and Henry Bones, Jennings at School,

Larry the Lamb, Violet Carson and Gwen Catley, The deepwoodlanders .......

I liked Eric Barker's gentle, ruminative style eg his sketch with Derek Guyler of two old codgers talking at cross purposes on a park bench.

Then there was In all Directions with Peter Jones and Peter Ustinov, 'wrun for it Dudley!'.

What about Crowther's Crowd ?

Worker's Playtime which seemed to end with either Joseph Locke or Cavan O'Connor (I'm only a strolling vagabond ...).

Eli Woods and Roy Castle worked with one of the greats of all time, Jimmy James.

Anybody remember that chant Charlie Chester and the rest used on 'Stand Easy'?

It started 'Down in the Jungle, living in a tent ........,' I can't remember the rest.

Archived