Radio comedy from the 50s-60s

sweetdexter

What was the one where Max Bygraves played Archie Andrews's Headmaster? I think Gilbert Harding also played the role.

Could it have been "Educating Archie"

I remember my dad and grandma, howling with laughter, telling me about the shows that the Beeb put out... things like ventriloquists on the radio, (! lol !!) and Jugglers! lol (my dad says, as a young'un, he'd sit with his ear to the wireless, to hear if the juggler dropped a plate or an indian-club they were using to juggle with! lol lol lol

What was the one where Max Bygraves played Archie Andrews's Headmaster? I think Gilbert Harding also played the role.

That was "Educating Archie". Archie was ventriloquist Peter Brough's dummy (only the B.B.C. could make a success of a ventriloquist on the radio...). Other guest appearances were by Harry Secombe, Hattie Jacques, Dick Emery, Bruce Forsyth and even a teenage Julie Andrews. See http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/radio/archie.htm

I used to look forward to hearing Jon Pertwee as the Cornish postman....can't now remember which show it was. I knew a Cornish farmer who talked just like that :)

I think that show was "The navy lark". His saying was something like

"What's it matter what you do,so long as you tear 'em up". Such a long time ago.

The Navy Lark was conceived as a vehicle for John Pertwee and was nothing to do with Round The Horne. Are you sure you don't mean "Much Binding In The Marsh"?

That's the programme I was trying to think of! I knew it wasn't "The Navy Lark". My ex's Dad was a big fan!

can remember jimmy clitheroe ,he was on telly aswell

When I was a little 'un, Jimmy Clitheroe was my hero. I used to listen to his radio show every Sunday. My gran took me to the Lyceum to see him in panto, must have been about 1960. I got his autograph. Still got it!!

The most popular radio show during WW2 was ITMA (It's that man again) starring Tommy Handley,with a host of characters. Poppy poopah,The Colonel (I don't mind if I do) Mrs Mopp (Can I do yer now) This is Fumph, and many more. It was the highlight of the week,and helped sustain morale throughout the war.

I'm not old enough to remember ITMA (honest I'm not) but my dad was a real fan of the show, as were most of the population at that time, it seems. Tommy Handley died tragically young of a brain haemorrhage, or the show would have gone on for much longer. Somewhere I have a BBC cassette tape with extracts from the shows, including a character (and this was a surprise to me) called Sophie Tuckshop - a schoolgirl played by Hattie Jacques.

See for example http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/localhistory/journey/stars/tommy_handley/itma.shtml

Archived